History of King's Highway 111:
King's Highway 111 was one of two new provincial highways constructed east of Bancroft in the late 1950s to serve the area's quickly-expanding uranium mining industry. A large uranium deposit had been discovered in the remote hills east of Bancroft, but access was to the site was difficult due to the lack of suitable roads in the area. Until 1958, the only highway that served this area was Highway 500, which was a meandering and narrow Secondary Highway which ended 26 km to the east of the uranium deposit in downtown Bancroft. It was decided that better roads would have to be built in order to improve road access to this region so that the mining sites could be developed more efficiently. The primary goal was to provide a more direct connection to Highway 28, which was the area's main through route.
Two new King's Highways were constructed as a result of the uranium mining boom near Bancroft. The two new routes were designated as Highways 109 and 111. The former was the main access route from the mining area to Highway 28, while the latter served as a shorter spur route leading to some on the area's mines. The proposed route of Highway 111 was first designated as a King's Highway on July 17, 1958. The new 12 km highway route ran from Secondary Highway 500 near Highland Grove southerly to the entrance to Dyno Mines. Construction of the new highway began in 1958 and was completed in October 1959. There was a short section where Highway 111 ran concurrently with Highway 109. The northern section of Highway 111 between Highway 109 and Secondary Highway 500 was paved in 1961, but the southern section of Highway 111 leading to Dyno Mines was not paved until 1967. In 1964, a major route renumbering took place in the Bancroft area which erased Highway 111 from existence. Effective March 1, 1964, the entire route of Highway 111 was redesignated as Secondary Highway 648.
Additional Information About King's Highway 111:
Learn More About King's Highway 111 (My Upcoming Publications)