History of King's Highway 124:
King's Highway 124 is a minor collector highway in the District of Parry Sound, which connects Parry Sound to Sundridge and South River. The highway passes through predominantly rural areas, although the highway does pass through a handful of small communities along its 94 km route. The principal towns located along Highway 124 are Parry Sound, Magnetawan, Sundridge and South River.
The history of Highway 124 dates back to the mid-1950s, when the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) acquired the Parry Sound-Sundridge Road as a new King's Highway. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the DHO in 1955, which showed a proposed King's Highway which extended from Highway 69 just north of Parry Sound northeasterly to Sundridge. The DHO assumed the Parry Sound-Sundridge Road as King's Highway 124 on October 19, 1955. The new highway was initially 49 miles (79 km) in length. Highway 124 had already been paved from Parry Sound to McKellar and from the Highway 510 Junction near Magnetawan to Sundridge prior to the assumption of the route in 1955. The section of Highway 124 from McKellar to Fairholme was paved in 1960, along with the construction of a new bypass around Ahmic Harbour. The route of Highway 124 was reconstructed and realigned fairly extensively during the 1960s between Dunchurch and Magnetawan. Paving operations were completed along Highway 124 between Fairholme and the Highway 510 Junction in 1964 and 1965.
In the early 1990s, a new Highway 69 Bypass was built around the northern end of Parry Sound. This work included the construction of a new interchange at Highway 69 & Highway 124 in 1992. The route of Highway 124 was truncated at the new Highway 69 Interchange, which shortened the length of the highway by approximately 1 km. The short section of Highway 124 lying between Old Highway 69 (Nobel Road) and the new Highway 69 Bypass (now Highway 400) was transferred from the province to the Township of McDougall, effective August 20, 1992. In 2011, Highway 124 was extended considerably when the new Highway 11 Bypass around Sundridge and South River was completed. About 18 km of the old route of Highway 11 through Sundridge and South River was renumbered as Highway 124 in the Fall of 2011. As a result of the renumbering, Highway 124's current northern terminus is at the Goreville Road Interchange (Exit #294) on Highway 11 between South River and Trout Creek.
Highway 124 is a two-lane highway from Parry Sound to the Highway 11 Interchange between South River and Trout Creek. Services are rather infrequent along Highway 124, but are available in most larger communities. Moose are quite common along Highway 124. These enormous animals can often be seen crossing the highway corridor. This represents a serious collision hazard, because these animals are difficult for motorists to see at night. Slow down and be prepared for moose if you plan to use Highway 124 at night. The speed limit on Highway 124 is 80 km/h (50 mph), unless posted otherwise. Please visit the Highway 124 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 124.
Additional Information About King's Highway 124: