History of King's Highway 405:
King's Highway 405 is a short freeway which connects the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) to the Queenston-Lewiston International Bridge near Niagara Falls. Highway 405 is Ontario's second-shortest 400-Series Highway, with a length of only 8.5 km. The highway was constructed in the early 1960s in order to improve access to the new Queenston-Lewiston International Bridge between Canada and the United States, which was opened to traffic on November 1, 1962. Construction began on Highway 405 in the summer of 1961. The entire route of Highway 405 from the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge to the QEW was completed and officially opened to traffic on September 11, 1963. Highway 405 connects with Interstate 90 (the New York State Thruway) via Interstate 190. Highway 405 is four lanes, with two lanes provided for each direction of travel. However, on the approach to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, additional lanes have recently been added to the highway to accommodate transport truck queuing. In 2006, Highway 405 was designated as the General Brock Parkway as a commemorative tribute to Isaac Brock, who was killed during a historic battle near Queenston during the War of 1812.
There are no services located along Highway 405. The posted speed limit on Highway 405 is 100 km/h (60 mph), except on the approach to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge. The only full interchange on the highway is located at Stanley Avenue. Access to the Niagara Parkway was completely closed off during a recent reconstruction project, meaning that there are no Canadian exits on Highway 405 Eastbound beyond Stanley Avenue. Please visit the Highway 405 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage points along Highway 405.
Additional Information About King's Highway 405: