History of Secondary Highway 541:
Secondary Highway 541 was a minor collector highway that once connected several mining communities northeast of Sudbury to Highway 17. The road from Sudbury to Falconbridge and Skead was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared in June 1956, which showed the 18-mile route of Highway 541 from Sudbury to Skead as well as the short spur highway leading to Falconbridge Mine. It is believed that this short spur was originally signed as Highway 541, but it was later renumbered as Highway 541A. Significant portions of the route were already paved at the time the route was designated in 1956. Highway 541 was paved from the Highway 17 Junction to Falconbridge and from Bailey's Corners to Skead prior to 1956. The final gravel section on Highway 541 between Falconbridge and Bailey's Corners was paved in 1959. In the early 1960s, the southernmost 4 km portion of Highway 541 lying within the Sudbury City Limits was transferred to the City of Sudbury. This section of Highway 541 from Highway 17 (Kingsway) to Maley Drive near Garson Junction was decommissioned on May 1, 1961. The balance of Highway 541 remained in the provincial highway system until 1974, when the rest of the route was decommissioned. The section of Highway 541 from Garson Junction to the Falconbridge Spur (Highway 541A) was transferred to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Sudbury on May 1, 1974, along with the section from the Highway 545 Junction (Bailey's Corners) to Skead. The rest of the route from the Highway 541A Junction to the Highway 545 Junction at Bailey's Corners was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Sudbury on November 13, 1974. The road is known today as Sudbury Road 86.