History of Secondary Highway 567:
Secondary Highway 567 is a local highway in the District of Timiskaming that provides access from North Cobalt to the Lorrain Valley and the Lower Notch Hydro Dam. Highway 567 was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June, 1956. The new highway was originally 20.5 miles (33 km) in length. Initially, Highway 567 began at the Highway 11 Junction (later known as Highway 11B) in North Cobalt and headed south where it ended at Maidens Lake near Silver Centre. The highway was gravel-surfaced at the time of designation in 1956. Highway 567 was paved from North Cobalt southerly for approximately 11 km in 1990. The balance of the highway from that point southerly to the Lower Notch Dam is still gravel-surfaced today.
During the late 1960s and early 1970s, a new hydroelectric development took place on the Montreal River at Lower Notch. The construction of the new Lower Notch Hydro Dam resulted in several changes to the route of Highway 567. A new route was established approaching Maidens Lake in 1968. On June 7, 1968, a Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the DHO which showed the proposed assumption of a 1.6 mile diversion around the silver mining ghost town of Silver Centre. The plan was registered on June 21, 1968, and the diversion was formally designated as Highway 567 by an Order-in-Council, effective July 23, 1968. The old route of Highway 567 to Maidens Lake via Silver Centre was legally closed to traffic by an Order-in-Council, effective February 13, 1969. Highway 567 was later extended south from Maidens Lake to the site of the Lower Notch Dam. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared on November 18, 1971, showing the extension of Highway 567 by approximately 4 miles (6 km) to the Lower Notch Dam. The plan was registered on December 3, 1971, and the extension was formally designated as Highway 567 by an Order-in-Council, effective January 26, 1972. After the extension to the Lower Notch Dam, the length of Highway 567 stood at 38.3 km.
The route of Highway 567 did not change again until the late 1990s, when ownership of the section of Highway 567 lying within the incorporated limits of the Town of Haileybury was transferred to the municipality. On January 1, 1998, this 3.7 km section of Highway 567 was transferred from the province to the Town of Haileybury, which later became part of the new amalgamated City of Temiskaming Shores. The former route of Highway 567 through the North Cobalt section of Temiskaming Shores is now known as Lakeview Drive and Silver Centre Road, although the route is marked with green-and-white "TO 567" trailblazer route markers. Highway 567 now officially ends at the south limits of the City of Temiskaming Shores, rather than its former northern terminus at Highway 11B. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 567 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available along Highway 567, but services are available on Highway 11B in North Cobalt.