Hwy 584 Sign Graphic Hwy 584 Title Graphic Hwy 584 Sign Graphic   

Ontario Highway 584 Quick Facts:
  • Years in Existence: 1956-Present
  • Current Status: In Service
  • Location: Northwestern Ontario
  • District Served: Thunder Bay
  • Towns Served: Geraldton & Nakina
  • Southern Terminus: Hwy 11 - Geraldton (within Geraldton is municipally-owned)
  • Northern Terminus: Howard Creek - Nakina
  • Current Length: 68.8 km / 42.7 miles
HWY 584 ROUTE MARKER - © Cameron Bevers
Secondary Highway 584 Sign © Cameron Bevers

History of Secondary Highway 584:

Secondary Highway 584 is a local highway in the District of Thunder Bay that provides access from Highway 11 near Geraldton northerly to Nakina. The proposed route of Highway 584 was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in May 1956. The highway was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. Initially, the highway only extended from the entrance to the Hardrock Mine located just south of the Highway 11 Junction northerly to the Barton Bay Bridge at Little Long Lac. Highway 584 was 2 1/2 miles (about 4 km) in length and was already paved at the time of the highway's designation in 1956. During the 1950s, an access road was constructed from Geraldton northerly to the small community of Nakina. Construction of this 40-mile access road to Nakina began in 1954. Following completion of the road, it was designated as an extension of Highway 584 by an Order-in-Council, effective October 16, 1958. The 2.15-mile (3.4 km) section of Highway 584 within the urbanized limits of the Town of Geraldton was subsequently designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective June 24, 1959. This urban section of Highway 584 thus remained under municipal jurisdiction. Highway 584 remained gravel-surfaced for many years. Some bituminous surface treatment was done immediately north of Geraldton in 1977, but it wasn't until 1983 that paving was completed along Highway 584 to Nakina.

During the late 1990s, jurisdiction over sections of Highway 584 were transferred from the province to the Town of Geraldton. The first section to be transferred ran from Highway 11 southerly to the Hardrock Mine Entrance. This 0.3 km section of Highway 584 was transferred to the Town of Geraldton, effective March 31, 1997. This southern section of Highway 584 was also accompanied by the transfer of a bypassed former loop of Highway 584 (Olde Road) just north of the urbanized area on March 31, 1997. On January 1, 1998, jurisdiction over the 2.6 km section of Highway 584 from the Hwy 11 Junction northerly to the Barton Bay Bridge and a 10.3 km section of Highway 584 lying north of the urbanized area were also transferred from the province to the Town of Geraldton. The Municipal Connecting Link through the urbanized area of Geraldton was subsequently revoked by a Minister's Order, effective January 1, 1998.

As a result of the highway transfers in 1997-1998, provincial jurisdiction over Highway 584 now begins at the former northern limits of the Town of Geraldton (now part of the much larger Municipality of Greenstone). This point is located at Burrough's Creek, situated approximately 15.6 km north of the Highway 11 Junction. Although still signed, the remainder of Highway 584 south of this point is now under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Greenstone. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 584 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available on this highway in Geraldton and in Nakina.

Photographic History of Secondary Highway 584

Links to Adjacent Secondary Highway Pages:

Back to Hwy 583   /    On to Hwy 585

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu   /    Back to List of Highways

Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2024, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me

Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!