History of Secondary Highway 607:
Secondary Highway 607 is a local highway in the District of Sudbury that provides access from Highway 69 near Bigwood to Highway 64 near Alban. Highway 607 was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. As originally established in 1956, Highway 607 began at French River Station and continued north for approximately 7.5 miles (12 km) to join Highway 64 east of Alban. Another route, known as Highway 607A, connected Highway 607 north of French River Station to Highway 69 starting in 1957. In 1965, a change was made to the route numbering in this area. The Highway 607 and Highway 607A designations were reversed between the Highway 69 Junction and French River Station, so that Highway 607A went to French River Station while Highway 607 connected to Highway 69. The change in route numbers reduced the length of Highway 607 by about 1 mile.
A significant diversion was built at the northern end of Highway 607 in 1964, in order to improve the highway's alignment. The new diversion relocated the Highway 607 Junction further west along Hwy 64 towards Alban. The diversion also reduced the length of Highway 607 by almost 1 mile. A portion of the old highway route via Smythe Road was legally closed by an Order-in-Council, effective February 23, 1967. In 1974, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MTC) relinquished its jurisdiction and control over the remaining portion of Old Highway 607 which followed a portion of Heritage River Road. An Order-in-Council was signed which formally removed the provincial highway designation along the bypassed portion of Highway 607, effective July 17, 1974. Highway 607 was originally gravel-surfaced for its entire length, but a primed bituminous surface was constructed along the highway in 1965. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 607 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway, but services are available on Highway 69 in Bigwood and on Highway 64 in Alban.