History of Secondary Highway 621:
Secondary Highway 621 is a local highway in the District of Rainy River that provides access to a number of small rural communities lying northeast of Rainy River. Highway 621 was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956, and was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in May, 1956. The route of Highway 621 extended north from Sleeman via the Sleeman-Morson Road for approximately 32 miles (51 km) to the Lake of the Woods Government Dock north of Morson. Highway 621 was originally gravel-surfaced for its entire length. A primed bituminous surface was constructed from Sleeman northerly to the Highway 600 Junction at Bergland in 1957. Construction began on a fairly sizeable 6-mile diversion of Highway 621 north of Bergland in 1957. This new diversion was completed in 1959, and bypassed several miles of old, winding highway between Bergland and the Highway 619 Junction. A primed bituminous surface was constructed along the balance of the route of Highway 621 via this new diversion in 1959. Jurisdiction over the old route of Highway 621 via Pioneer Road and Old Highway was transferred from the province to the Townships of Morson and McCrosson-Tovell, effective April 30, 1970. The route of Highway 621 has remained more or less the same since the late 1950s. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 621 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available on Highway 621 at Bergland and Morson, as well as on Highway 11 in nearby Rainy River.