Hwy 169 Sign Graphic Hwy 169 Title Graphic Hwy 169 Sign Graphic   

Hwy 169 Photo Index      On to Hwy 169 - Hwy 12 to Washago

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 169 dating from 1936 to 1999. Please note that Highway 169 was known as Highway 69 prior to 1976. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 1: Historical King's Highway 169 Photographs


HWY 69 #32

Above - New junction of Hwy 11 & Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) south of Gravenhurst in 1949. This photo shows the new junction of Hwy 11 and Hwy 69 on the first Gravenhurst Bypass, which opened to traffic in 1948. The original junction of these two highways was located in Downtown Gravenhurst, at Muskoka Road and Bay Street. The newly-built highway junction seen here was revised slightly in the ensuing years, but can still be found today just north of the current Hwy 11 Interchange, adjacent to the Gravenhurst McDonald's restaurant. Click here to see a 2005 view of this intersection. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on June 9, 1949.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-5-121, Photo #327)





HWY 11 #933

Above - Circa 1955 postcard view of the Welcome Arch on Hwy 11B & Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) in Gravenhurst. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Henry Fry)





HWY 11 #1266

Above - Circa 1957 aerial postcard view of the Severn River Bridge on Hwy 11 & Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) between Washago and Gravenhurst. This three-span steel truss structure was completed by the DHO in 1931. The bridge was replaced when Hwy 11 was expanded from two to four lanes in 1966. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of the Peterborough Postcard Company)





HWY 69 #303

Above - Photo of the original plaque commemorating the opening of the Peace Bridge on Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) in Washago. In 1927, the former County of Ontario built a small bridge over the Washago Mill Race. Although small, Washago's Peace Bridge has a very interesting history to tell. As the story goes, two neighbours named A.W. Grigg and John Agnew lived beside one another adjacent to the Washago Mill Race. The two men had a bitter dispute over a trivial matter back in 1905 and refused to speak to one another for 22 years. The two men eventually agreed to bury the proverbial hatchet and rekindle their friendship spoiled by the dispute, by mutually agreeing to open the County of Ontario's new bridge together at the official opening ceremony in 1927. Reportedly, the name "Peace Bridge" was inspired by the truce between the two men and was borrowed from the well-known International Peace Bridge between Fort Erie and Buffalo, which was being constructed that same year. The name Peace Bridge seemed very fitting, as the notorious quarrel between A.W. Grigg and John Agnew was widely known in the Washago area. The two men remained friends for the rest of their days. The Peace Bridge still stands in Washago today on Simcoe Road 169, but the plaque shown in this 1960 photo has since been replaced with a newer replica. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1960.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1960)





HWY 69 #250

Above - Autumn colours along Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) north of the Hwy 118 Junction at Glen Orchard in 1963. This photo was featured on the front cover of the 1966 Edition of the Official Ontario Road Map. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in September 1963.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1963)





HWY 69 #296

Above - Completed Bala Diversion on Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) in 1965, facing north from the Hwy 660 Junction (today's Muskoka Road 38). The new Hwy 69 Diversion in Bala included a new railway subway and bridge over the Moon River. The diversion bypassed the original route of Hwy 69 through Bala, which had a very poor alignment and a narrow single-lane railway subway with limited vertical clearance. The old railway subway at Bala restricted transport truck movements in this part of Ontario for many years. By the 1960s, the subway also began to cause significant traffic delays as motorists often had to wait their turn to squeeze through it. The new diversion seen here greatly improved traffic flow through Bala. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1965.
(Photo courtesy of Henry Fry)





HWY 69 #295             HWY 69 #246

Left - Reconstruction of Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) north of Gravenhurst, Contract #1967-65. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1967.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1967)

Right - Hot mix asphalt paving operations on Hwy 69 (later known as Hwy 169) north of Gravenhurst, Contract #1968-86 (1968)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1968)





HWY 11 #1225

Above - Facing north along Hwy 11 & Hwy 169 at the Green River Bridge (Severn River, West Branch) near Washago. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2020)





HWY 11 #1226

Above - Green River Bridge (Severn River, West Branch) on Hwy 11 & Hwy 169 near Washago. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2020)





HWY 11 #1227             HWY 11 #1228

Left - Facing north along Hwy 11 & Hwy 169 at the Severn River Bridge between Washago and Gravenhurst. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2020)

Right - Severn River Bridge on Hwy 11 & Hwy 169 between Washago and Gravenhurst. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2020)





HWY 11 #664              HWY 11 #665

Left - Facing north along Hwy 11 towards the new Hwy 169 Interchange in Washago (August 14, 1984)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Newly-completed Hwy 169 Overpass on Hwy 11 in Washago (August 14, 1984)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





HWY 11 #666              HWY 11 #667

Left - Southern side of the new Hwy 169 Overpass in Washago. Note that the box-beam median barrier on Hwy 11 has not been installed yet. (August 14, 1984)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Bridge-mounted overhead guide sign marking the Hwy 169 Interchange on Hwy 11 in Washago (August 14, 1984)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





HWY 11 #668             HWY 11 #669

Left - Northern side of the Hwy 169 Overpass on Hwy 11 in Washago (May 22, 1985)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Approaching the Hwy 169 Interchange on Hwy 11 in Washago, facing south (June, 1986)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





HWY 11 #670             HWY 11 #677

Left - Facing west across the Hwy 169 Overpass on Hwy 11 in Washago (June, 1986)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Facing north along Hwy 11 towards the Hwy 169 Interchange from the Washago Railway Overhead (September 29, 1988)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





HWY 169 #9 - © Roger Fox

Above - Dual Hwy 11 & Hwy 169 route markers between Washago and Gravenhurst. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 23, 1995  -  © Roger Fox)





HWY 169 #10 - © Roger Fox

Above - Sign marking the end of Hwy 169 at the Hwy 12 Junction near Brechin. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 23, 1995  -  © Roger Fox)





Continue on to King's Highway 169 Present Day Photos: Hwy 12 to Washago


Links to Adjacent King's Highway Photograph Pages:


Hwy 169 Photo Index      On to Hwy 169 - Hwy 12 to Washago



Back to King's Highway 148 Photos    /     King's Highway 169 History    /     On to King's Highway 400 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /     Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2024, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!