Hwy 28 Hwy 28 Hwy 28   

Back to Hwy 28 Photo Index      On to Hwy 28 - Peterborough to Bancroft

This page contains historical and present day photos of Ontario's King's Highway 28 from Port Hope northerly to Peterborough. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order, while present day photographs (Year 2000 to date) are arranged by location from south to north. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Historical King's Highway 28 Photographs


HWY 28 #5

Above - New twin-slab concrete pavement on Hwy 28, 1 mile south of Lakefield (1934)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1934)





HWY 28 #6

Above - Circa 1940 postcard view of Hwy 28 near Bewdley. Note the mature trees lining both sides of the highway, which were removed during various highway safety improvement projects in the 1950s and 1960s. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  -  Original photographer unknown)





HWY 28 #54

NEW Above - Newly-completed section of Hwy 28 in 1943, facing south towards Apsley at the Peterborough County Boundary. The extension of Hwy 28 from Apsley to Bancroft in 1943 was one of the only new highways completed in Ontario during World War II. Highway construction during World War II was extremely difficult, due to chronic shortages of construction equipment, labour and Wartime rationing of fuel and other materials. The section of Hwy 28 seen here remained gravel-surfaced for a number of years, until the highway was paved in the early 1950s.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1943)





HWY 28 #51

NEW Above - Circa 1945 postcard view of Hwy 28 approaching the Crowe River Bridge at Paudash, facing north towards Bancroft. Note the log guide rail beside the highway. Log guide rails such as this were commonly used along highways in Northern and Central Ontario in the 1930s and 1940s, since the timber was readily available nearby and the guide rails required few manufactured parts for assembly. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  -  Original photographer unknown)





HWY 28 #13

Above - South Burleigh Falls Bridge on Hwy 28 under construction in 1953. The South Burleigh Falls Bridge replacement was the first of several contracts awarded in the 1950s and 1960s to reconstruct Hwy 28 through Burleigh Falls on an improved alignment. Several narrow bridges were replaced at Burleigh Falls in the process. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1953)





HWY 28 #52             HWY 28 #53

NEW Left - Youngs Point Lock on the Trent-Severn Waterway north of Lakefield in 1954. Up until 1954, all Hwy 28 traffic had to cross the Youngs Point Lock via a narrow turn-of-the-century swing bridge. A new high-level bridge was completed across the channel at Youngs Point in 1954. The new high-level bridge greatly improved traffic flow on Hwy 28, since the new bridge allowed highway traffic to cross the channel uninterrupted by marine traffic on the canal below. The old Hwy 28 swing bridge can be seen in the background of this photo. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)

NEW Right - View of Rice Lake from Hwy 28 near Bewdley in 1955. Note the old dual cable and cedar post guide rail beside the highway. This early example of a roadside hazard protection system likely dates from the mid-1920s, when this design started to see widespread use on Ontario's provincial highways. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 115 #1

Above - Aerial view of the Hwy 28 Interchange on Hwy 115 southwest of Peterborough in 1972, facing south towards Port Hope. This interesting photo shows the partially-completed interchange, as it appeared before the extension of Hwy 115 to the Peterborough Bypass in the late 1970s. When Hwy 115 was first opened to traffic in 1954, the highway terminated at a "T" Junction at Hwy 28. As traffic volumes grew over the years, the number of vehicles turning left onto Hwy 28 at the end of Hwy 115 started to cause significant congestion at this highway junction. In 1966-1967, a partial interchange was built at Hwy 115 & Hwy 28 as an interim improvement until Hwy 115 was extended easterly from Hwy 28 to the Peterborough Bypass. This interim improvement proved to be very effective, as it successfully accommodated the heavy left-turn movement from Hwy 115 via a grade separation over Hwy 28. A loop ramp carried Hwy 115 traffic north towards Peterborough uninterrupted. It wasn't until 1978 that Hwy 115 was finally extended easterly from Hwy 28 to the Peterborough Bypass. The Hwy 28 Interchange was reconfigured when this section of Hwy 115 was twinned in 1985. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 28 #50

NEW Above - Paving operations on Hwy 28 at South Monaghan in 1977. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1978)


Page 1: Present Day King's Highway 28 Photographs (Port Hope to Peterborough)


HWY 2 #159 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Highway signs at the junction of Hwy 2 and Hwy 28 in Port Hope. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 28 #31 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 28 #32 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Junction of Hwy 2 & Hwy 28 in Downtown Port Hope. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Former alignment of Hwy 28 (Cathcart Crescent) at Scott's Corners, facing south towards Port Hope. The old alignment of Hwy 28 was bypassed by a new relocated highway in 1959-1960. It was one of several sections of Hwy 28 to be relocated between Port Hope and Peterborough in an effort to improve the highway's alignment. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 28 #33 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 7 #412 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing north along Old Hwy 28 (Davis Road) at Scott's Corners. A curvy section of the original Hwy 28 between Springville and Five Mile Corners was bypassed when a new highway was constructed along the western side of Peterborough in 1959-1960. The old highway is now a local access road at Scotts Corners. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Five Mile Corners on Hwy 7 at Lansdowne Street (Old Hwy 28), facing east. This junction has a very complicated past. Originally, Hwy 28 simply curved to the right and merged with Lansdowne Street on its route between Port Hope and Peterborough. In the 1950s, a new highway was built along the western side of Peterborough, extending south from Hwy 7 at Fowlers Corners and joining Hwy 28 at this junction. Initially, this new highway was known as Hwy 133. As part of the Peterborough Bypass construction in 1959-1960, another leg was built onto this intersection, extending Hwy 133 south towards Springville. Once the highway was completed between Five Mile Corners and Scott's Corners in 1960, Hwy 133 was re-designated as Hwy 7. The route of Hwy 28 seen here was diverted onto the new alignment concurrently with Hwy 7 from this point southerly to Scott's Corners. However, the route of Hwy 28 heading east from Five Mile Corners continued to follow Lansdowne Street into Peterborough for many years. In the early 1980s, Hwy 28 was rerouted onto The Parkway. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 7 #413 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 7B #5 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing south along Old Hwy 28 (Davis Road) from the Hwy 7 Junction at Five Mile Corners. Although it hasn't carried provincial highway traffic in over 50 years, this road still looks like an old King's Highway from a geometric perspective. Note the slight curve superelevation, designed so that high-speed traffic could negotiate the change in the highway alignment.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Charlotte Street (Former Hwy 28 & Hwy 115) at Monaghan Road (Former Hwy 7B). Prior to 1997, Hwy 28 turned left at this intersection and headed north along Monaghan Road concurrently with Hwy 7B. The route of Hwy 115 reached its pre-1997 northern terminus at this junction. The route of Hwy 7B also continued south from here along Monaghan Road to Lansdowne Street, where the route of Hwy 7B turned easterly towards the Peterborough Bypass and Ottawa. As a result of the downloading of various highways and revocation of municipal connecting links in the Peterborough area in 1997-1998, there are no longer any provincial highways which pass through the urbanized sections of Peterborough. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)




Continue on to King's Highway 28 Photos: Peterborough to Bancroft



Back to Hwy 28 Photo Index      On to Hwy 28 - Peterborough to Bancroft



Back to King's Highway 27 Photos     /    King's Highway 28 History    /   On to King's Highway 28A Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!