Hwy 401 Hwy 401 Hwy 401   

Back to Hwy 401 - Historical Photos (1965-1969)      Back to Hwy 401 Photo Index      On to Hwy 401 - Historical Photos (1975-1979)

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 401 dating from 1970 to 1974. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 5: Historical King's Highway 401 Photographs (1970 to 1974)


HWY 401 #1280

Above - Ritson Road Underpass on Hwy 401 in Oshawa in 1971. The original 1941 structure carrying Hwy 401 over Ritson Road was only just wide enough to accommodate a four-lane street below the structure. When Ritson Road was widened from 2 to 4 lanes in 1970-1971, a new pedestrian tunnel was built to carry a sidewalk under Hwy 401. Photo taken in October, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1288             HWY 401 #1289

Left - Facing north along Kennedy Road towards the new underpass at Hwy 401 in 1971. When the Toronto Bypass (Hwy 401) was first built in the mid-1950s, Kennedy Road passed over Hwy 401 at a full cloverleaf interchange. During reconstruction and widening of Hwy 401 in 1969-1970, the original 1956 Kennedy Road Interchange was completely rebuilt. The interchange was reconfigured into a more conventional "Parclo A-4" ramp configuration and Kennedy Road was rebuilt so that is passed under Hwy 401. Note the internally-illuminated "No Left Turn" signs mounted to the traffic signal mast arms at the Kennedy Road off-ramp from Hwy 401. Internally illuminated black-and-white regulatory signs used to be fairly common at urban signalized intersections in Ontario, but were gradually phased out by the 1990s. Today, regulatory signs mounted to traffic signal installations are non-illuminated reflective metal signs. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on November 3, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)

Right - Reconstructed section of Hwy 401 at Kennedy Road in Toronto, facing west. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on November 3, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1291             HWY 401 #1290

Left - Work crew putting on the finishing touches on the expanded Hwy 401 near the Kennedy Road Interchange in Toronto. The widening of Hwy 401 from 4 to 12 lanes was completed between Warden Avenue and Midland Avenue in late 1971. Although it isn't very clear in this photo, the overhead sign in the background marking the Collector-to-Express Transfer reads, "401 Through - Keep Left 2 Lanes". During the early 1970s, the word "Through" was replaced by "Express" on all signs on Hwy 401. New ground-mounted exit gore signs reading "Express Lanes" were installed at all Collector-to-Express transfer points along Hwy 401 in November, 1972. Prior to 1972, ground-mounted exit gore signs at Collector-to-Express transfer points simply read "401". Overhead signs along Hwy 401 continued to indicate "401 Through" at Collector-to-Express transfer points for almost two years thereafter, until they were all replaced over a six month period between February and July, 1974. The last overhead sign referencing "401 Through" was removed from the highway at the Westbound Basketweave near Keele Street on July 2, 1974. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on November 3, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)

Right - Canadian Pacific Railway Overhead on Hwy 401 between Birchmount Avenue and Kennedy Road in Toronto (November 3, 1971)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1285

Above - New Birchmount Avenue Underpass on Hwy 401 in Toronto (November 3, 1971)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1255             HWY 401 #1256

Left - Overhead sign marking the Airport Expressway Exit on Westbound Hwy 401 in Toronto in 1971. Following the construction of the new interchange at Hwy 27 in the early 1970s, traffic heading westbound on Hwy 401 had to access the Airport Expressway (now Hwy 427 North) indirectly via a temporary on-ramp from Carlingview Drive. This sign was changed to read "Carlingview Drive" after the temporary on-ramp to the Airport Expressway near the Renforth Drive Underpass was closed in the early 1970s. Access to Toronto International Airport from Westbound Hwy 401 was greatly improved once Hwy 409 was completed in the 1970s. Photo taken on November 19, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)

Right - Facing south along the on-ramp from Northbound Hwy 27 (now Hwy 427) to Eastbound Hwy 401 in Toronto (November 19, 1971)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1257             HWY 401 #1258

Left - Facing south along Hwy 27 towards the Hwy 401 Overpass in Toronto in 1971. Reconstruction of the Hwy 27 and Hwy 401 Interchange was a massive multi-year project, involving multiple construction contracts spanning a four-year period between 1968 and 1972. Here, the steel beam guide rail median barrier on Hwy 27 was in the process of being installed, as one of the interchange reconstruction contracts was nearing completion. Photo taken on November 19, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)

Right - Newly-constructed off-ramp from Westbound Hwy 401 to Southbound Hwy 27 in 1971. The construction staging for the Hwy 27 and Hwy 401 Interchange reconstruction project was extremely complicated. During some stages of the reconstruction project, this off-ramp to Southbound Hwy 27 also provided access to either Westbound Hwy 401 or the Airport Expressway, depending on the stage. Note the overhead guide sign further down the ramp, pointing to "Hwy 27 South TO QEW". Once the temporary right-hand exit from the ramp was closed off, this overhead sign became redundant and was eventually removed. The section of Hwy 27 south of the Hwy 401 Interchange was renumbered as Hwy 427 after reconstruction of the corridor was completed in 1972. Photo taken on November 19, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1263

Above - Hwy 401 at dusk, facing west towards the Basketweave from the Keele Street Interchange in Toronto in 1972. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2013)





HWY 401 #1210             HWY 401 #1211

Left - Aerial view of the Hwy 8 Interchange on Hwy 401 between Kitchener and Cambridge in 1974. The Hwy 8 Interchange was originally constructed in 1960 as a full eight-ramp cloverleaf. In 1987, the construction of the new Hwy 8 Bypass a short distance to the east resulted in a reconfiguration of the original cloverleaf interchange. The two loop ramps on the London side of the interchange were closed off to traffic, creating a partial cloverleaf configuration as seen in this 2005 Aerial Photo. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Speedsville Road Overpass in Cambridge. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1212             HWY 401 #1213

Left - Aerial view of the Hwy 24 Interchange on Hwy 401 in Cambridge in 1974. The lack of development around the interchange at that time is quite remarkable. The Hwy 24 Interchange was originally constructed in 1960 as a full eight-ramp cloverleaf. In 1989, the widening of Hwy 401 and the twinning of the Hwy 24 Overpass resulted in a complete reconstruction of the original cloverleaf interchange. The two far-side loop ramps were removed, creating a "Parclo A-4" interchange. The current interchange configuration can be seen in this 2005 Aerial Photo. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Back Hespeler Road (Franklin Boulevard) Overpass in Cambridge in 1974. The current partial interchange at Franklin Boulevard was constructed in the early 1990s. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1214             HWY 401 #1215

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Townline Road Overpass in Cambridge in 1974. An interchange was constructed at Townline Road in the mid-1980s. Prior to that time, there were no interchanges along Hwy 401 between Hwy 24 and Hwy 6. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Townline Road Overpass and the Wellington Road 32 Overpass east of Cambridge (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1216             HWY 401 #1217

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the Wellington Road 32 Overpass. The Cambridge Service Centres are visible at right. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Cambridge Service Centres and the Wellington Road 35 Overpass south of Guelph (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1218             HWY 401 #1219

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Wellington Road 35 Overpass south of Guelph (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Wellington Road 35 Overpass and the Hanlon Road Overpass south of Guelph (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1220             HWY 401 #1221

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the future site of the Hwy 6 Bypass (Hanlon Parkway) Interchange south of Guelph in 1974. Construction began on the new Hwy 6 Bypass Interchange shortly after this photo was taken. Today's interchange would be situated on the left-hand side of this photo, just west of the Aberfoyle Creek Culvert. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Hanlon Road (Concession 7) Overpass and the Hwy 6 Interchange south of Guelph (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1222             HWY 401 #1223

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the Hwy 6 Interchange near Morriston in 1974. This interchange was originally constructed as a four-ramp "Parclo A-2" interchange in 1959-1960. It is interesting to note that the Hwy 6 Interchange is the only interchange along Hwy 401 between Toronto and Woodstock that has not been reconfigured in some way or another since the highway was first built in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Wellington Road 36 Overpass east of Morriston (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1224             HWY 401 #1225

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Watson Road Overpass east of Morriston (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Watson Road Overpass and the Wellington-Halton Boundary east of Morriston (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1226             HWY 401 #1227

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Wellington-Halton Boundary west of Campbellville (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the First Line Overpass west of Campbellville (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1228             HWY 401 #1229

Left - Aerial view of the Guelph Line Interchange on Hwy 401 at Campbellville in 1974. This interchange was reconfigured in 1978 and again in 2008.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Fourth Line (Walkers Line) Underpass east of Campbellville (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1230             HWY 401 #1231

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Fifth Line (Appleby Line) Underpass west of Milton (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Kelso Conservation Area west of Milton (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1232             HWY 401 #1233

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Halton Road 22 (Tremaine Road) Overpass and the Hwy 25 Interchange in Milton (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of the Hwy 25 Interchange on Hwy 401 in Milton in 1974. The Hwy 25 Interchange was originally constructed in 1958-1959 as a full eight-ramp cloverleaf. In 1988, the two far-side loop ramps were removed, creating a "Parclo A-4" interchange that is seen today. At the time this photo was taken, this was very much a rural interchange. Nearly all of the land around Hwy 401 in Milton has been developed over the past 20 years. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1234             HWY 401 #1235

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Steeles Avenue Overpass in Milton in 1974. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the future site of the James Snow Parkway Interchange in Milton in 1974. The new interchange at James Snow Parkway was constructed in 1982. Today's interchange would be situated on the left-hand side of this photo, where Old Fourth Line ends at a pair of cul-de-sacs. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1236             HWY 401 #1237

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Sixth Line Overpass east of Milton (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Seventh Line (Trafalgar Road) Overpass north of Oakville in 1974. This interchange was originally constructed as a four-ramp "Parclo A-2" interchange in 1958. Two directional ramps were built at this interchange in 1979, converting it into a standard "Parclo A-4" configuration. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1238             HWY 401 #1239

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Ninth Line Overpass north of Oakville in 1974. This is the site of the Hwy 407 ETR Interchange today.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Regional Road 19 (Winston Churchill Boulevard) Overpass west of Streetsville (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1240             HWY 401 #1241

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 between the Winston Churchill Boulevard Overpass and Mississauga Road Interchange west of Streetsville in 1974. Note the former sites of the Streetsville Truck Scales east of Winston Churchill Boulevard. The Streetsville Truck Scales were closed in the early 1980s and relocated further west along Hwy 401 near Milton. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of the Mississauga Road Interchange on Hwy 401 north of Streetsville in 1974. When the Mississauga Road Interchange was originally constructed in 1958-1959, it was built in an unusual "Parclo B-2" interchange configuration. When Hwy 401 was widened to six lanes through this area in 1977, the Mississauga Road Interchange was completely rebuilt and converted to a more conventional "Parclo A-4" interchange. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1242             HWY 401 #1243

Left - Aerial view of Hwy 401 near the Credit River and Creditview Road Overpass east of Streetsville in 1974. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the future site of the Mavis Road Interchange in Mississauga in 1974. The new interchange at Mavis Road was constructed in 1999. Today's interchange would be situated in the centre of this photo, about half-way between the Second Line and First Line (McLaughlin Road) Overpasses. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1244             HWY 401 #1245

Left - Aerial view of the Hwy 10 Interchange on Hwy 401 between Port Credit and Brampton in 1974. The Hwy 10 Interchange was originally constructed in 1957 as a full eight-ramp cloverleaf. In 1975-1976, the two far-side loop ramps were removed, creating a "Parclo A-4" interchange that stood until 2009-2010, when the interchange was reconstructed again. The lack of development around the interchange at the time this photo was taken is quite remarkable - it certainly doesn't look like this today. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the future site of the Hwy 403 & Hwy 410 Interchange in Mississauga in 1974. The new freeway interchange was built immediately east of the First Line (Kennedy Road) Overpass. Construction got underway on the first phase of the Hwy 403 & Hwy 410 Interchange in 1974, shortly after this photo was taken. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1246             HWY 401 #1247

Left - Aerial view of the Dixie Road Interchange on Hwy 401 west of Toronto in 1974, before reconstruction. When the Dixie Road Interchange was originally built in 1957-1958, it was designed as a four-ramp "A-B Parclo" with all ramps situated on the western side of the interchange. The two directional ramps on the east side of the interchange were constructed in the late 1960s, in order to eliminate the left turn required for northbound traffic to head east along Hwy 401 into Toronto. The construction of the new ramps also allowed for easier access to the Brampton area from Westbound Hwy 401. This interchange was completely reconstructed in 1974-1975, in conjunction with the first phase of the Express-Collector Lane System extension on Hwy 401 and the adjacent Hwy 403 Interchange construction. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at Etobicoke Creek, between the Dixie Road and Renforth Drive Interchange in 1974. This photo shows the original 1950s-era highway, before it was widened into a complex freeway with separate Express and Collector Lanes. What is particularly surprising about this photo is the sheer lack of development in this area. The business parks to the south of Hwy 401 didn't start to appear until the 1980s. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)





HWY 401 #1248

Above - Aerial view of Hwy 401 at the newly-completed Renforth Drive Interchange on Hwy 401 in Toronto in 1971. Of particular interest here is the abrupt collapse of the complex freeway west of Hwy 427. At the time this photo was taken, the Express Lanes had been built, but had not yet been opened to traffic. The westerly extension of the Express-Collector Lane System to Hwy 403 began a few years after this photo was taken. Due to the complicated staging of the project, it took 10 years to complete the complex freeway expansion along Hwy 401 between Hwy 427 and Hwy 403. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012)




Continue on to King's Highway 401 Photos: Historical Photos (1975-1979)



Back to Hwy 401 - Historical Photos (1965-1969)      Back to Hwy 401 Photo Index      On to Hwy 401 - Historical Photos (1975-1979)



Back to King's Highway 400 Photos     /    King's Highway 401 History    /   On to King's Highway 402 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!