Hwy 71 Sign Graphic Hwy 71 Title Graphic Hwy 71 Sign Graphic   

Back to Hwy 71 Photo Index      On to Hwy 71 - Fort Frances to Emo

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 71 dating from 1936 to 1999. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 1: Historical King's Highway 71 Photographs


HWY 70 #5

Above - Circa 1936 postcard view of the Queen Post timber truss bridge on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Nestor Falls. This rare photo postcard is the only known surviving photograph of the original Nestor Falls Bridge, which shows a side view of the structure. The original span was a Queen Post creosoted timber truss bridge, which was completed around 1934. The timber bridge at Nestor Falls was replaced during a highway widening project in 1939. The concrete rigid frame structure that replaced this timber truss bridge still stands to this day on Hwy 71 (Former Hwy 70). Fortunately, this photograph was taken during the timber bridge's brief service life, and provides transportation historians and road enthusiasts with a rare opportunity to see what the original Nestor Falls bridge actually looked like. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of The Camera Shop, Port Arthur)





HWY 70 #1               HWY 70 #3

Left - Rock cut on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) north of Nestor Falls (1939)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1939)

Right - Widening a rock cut on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) north of Nestor Falls (1939)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1939)





HWY 70 #2

Above - Completed grading on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) beside Lake of the Woods at Red Deer Lodge, showing new fill. Photo taken on September 2, 1939. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1939)





HWY 70 #10

Above - Circa 1940 postcard view of Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Lake of the Woods north of Nestor Falls. This interesting postcard shows a section of log guide rail beside the highway. Log guide rails such as this were commonly used on Northern and Eastern Ontario highways in the 1930s and 1940s. Logs were utilized instead of steel beam or steel cable guide rail, since the timber was readily available from highway right-of-way clearing operations. More importantly, these log guide rails were very easy to install in remote areas, since no manufactured parts were required other than simple steel bolts. Log guide rails were installed to delineate various roadside hazards, but they did not offer motorists much protection in the event that their vehicle left the roadway. These log guide rails were a temporary measure, and were eventually replaced with steel beam or steel cable guide rail after the Post-War steel shortage eased in the early 1950s. Compare this photo with the photo above from 1939, which shows a nearby section of highway facing in the opposite direction before the log guide rail was installed. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Lakewood Studio, Kenora)





HWY 70 #4               HWY 70 #11

Left - Circa 1940 postcard view of Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) between Emo and Kenora.
(Photo courtesy of The Camera Shop, Port Arthur)

Right - Circa 1945 postcard view of the Nestor Falls Bridge on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71), showing the new structure beside the site of the original timber truss bridge. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Clarke & Crombie Publishing)





HWY 70 #12

Above - Circa 1945 postcard view of Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Lake of the Woods near Nestor Falls. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Lakewood Studio, Kenora)





HWY 70 #14

Above - Spreading mulch asphalt on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) south of Nestor Falls. Photo taken on August 1, 1947.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1947)





HWY 70 #17               HWY 70 #18

Left - New asphalt pavement on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71), 3 miles north of Nestor Falls. Photo taken on July 16, 1949. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1949)

Right - Early fingerboard guide signs at the Reed Narrows Bridge on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) north of Sioux Narrows in 1949. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1949)





HWY 70 #7

Above - Aerial view of the timber truss bridge on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) crossing Sioux Narrows in 1951. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)





HWY 70 #6

Above - Aerial view of Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) approaching Sioux Narrows from the south in 1951. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)





HWY 71 #48

Above - International Bridge at Fort Frances, linking Hwy 71 with International Falls, Minnesota (1951)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)





HWY 70 #15

Above - Facing north along Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) showing new zone painting approaching the Rushing River Bridge south of Longbow Corners. Photo taken on August 27, 1953.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1953)





HWY 70 #8

Above - Postcard view of Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) approaching Sioux Narrows in 1954. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Alex Wilson Publishing, Dryden)





HWY 70 #19

Above - View of Lake of the Woods from Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Nestor Falls in 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 70 #16

Above - Granular base on Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) near Kenora (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 70 #13

Above - Facing south along Hwy 70 approaching the Hwy 71 Junction between Emo and Rainy River. This photo provides a rare view of the original highway junction between Hwy 70 and Hwy 71, prior to the route numbering of 1960. That year, an extensive highway renumbering plan was carried out in Northwestern Ontario, under which Hwy 11 was extended westerly from Nipigon to Rainy River. The entire route of Hwy 120 from Shabaqua Corners to Atikokan and a portion of Hwy 71 were supplanted by the Hwy 11 designation. In turn, Hwy 70 was renumbered as Hwy 71. Today, this highway junction can be found where Hwy 71 and Hwy 11 meet just west of Emo. Photo taken circa 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  - Original photographer unknown)





HWY 71 #47

Above - Motorists standing beside a Hwy 71 route marker sign near Rainy River (ca. 1955)
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection - Original photographer unknown)





HWY 70 #9

Above - View of Lake of the Woods from Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Nestor Falls. Photo taken in September, 1959. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #195

Above - Postcard of the Great River Road Monument at Longbow Corners at the Junction of Hwy 17 & Hwy 71 near Kenora (ca. 1960)





HWY 71 #46             HWY 71 #65

Left - Postcard view of the Fort Frances welcome arch on Hwy 11 & Hwy 71 (ca. 1965)
(Photo courtesy of Alex Wilson Publishing, Dryden)

Right - Postcard view of Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71 (ca. 1965)
(Photo courtesy of Alex Wilson Publishing, Dryden)





HWY 71 #5 - © Walter Muma

Above - Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71 before the sidewalk was added on the western side of the structure (1978)
(Photo Courtesy of Walter Muma - © 1978)





HWY 71 #8

Above - Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71 after the sidewalk was added on the western side of the structure (ca. 1982)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2003)





HWY 71 #32 - © Harold Warkentin

Above - Aerial view of Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71 looking west (ca. 1990)
(Photo © Harold Warkentin)





HWY 71 #31 - © Harold Warkentin

Above - Aerial view of Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71 looking south-west (ca. 1990)
(Photo © Harold Warkentin)




Continue on to King's Highway 71 Photos: Fort Frances to Emo



Back to Hwy 71 Photo Index      On to Hwy 71 - Fort Frances to Emo



Back to King's Highway 70A Photos     /    King's Highway 71 History    /   On to King's Highway 72 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2019, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!