Hwy 7 Sign Graphic Hwy 7 Title Graphic Hwy 7 Sign Graphic   

Back to Hwy 7 - Historical Photos (1920-1949)      Back to Hwy 7 Photo Index      On to Hwy 7 - Historical Photos (1970-1979)

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 7 dating from 1950 to 1969. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 2: Historical King's Highway 7 Photographs (1950-1969)


HWY 41 #57

Above - Junction of Hwy 7 and Hwy 41 at Kaladar (ca. 1950)
(Photo courtesy of Canadian Postcard Company)





HWY 15 #30

Above - Department of Highways' Roadside Park on Hwy 15 (today's Hwy 7) at Innisville in 1950. This small roadside park was established in 1947 for the convenience of motorists traveling to and from Ottawa. The park was built between the original highway alignment which ran behind the park to the left and the relocated highway at right. Although the stone fireplaces were removed many years ago, this roadside park and picnic area is still in operation today on Hwy 7 north of Innisville. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on July 22, 1950.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)





HWY 400 #3             HWY 400 #5

Left - Toronto-Barrie Highway under construction in 1950, showing the new Hwy 7 overpass near Woodbridge. Photo taken on August 8, 1950.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1950)

Right - View of Hwy 400 from the Hwy 7 Overpass, looking north towards Barrie. Photo taken on October 11, 1951.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)





HWY 7 #3             HWY 7 #530

Left - New asphalt pavement on Hwy 7, 5 miles east of Marmora. Photo taken on October 10, 1951.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1951)

NEW Right - Preparation for rock blasting on a diversion of Hwy 7 built by Theirien Construction Company, 9 1/2 miles west of Kaladar. Photo taken on June 14, 1952.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)





HWY 7 #528

HWY 7 #529

NEW Above Photos - "Before and after" views of the intersection of Hwy 7 & Jane Street in Vaughan Township, located north of Toronto in 1952. Over a five month period, this intersection had been the scene of 7 motor vehicle collisions, resulting in 4 injuries and 2 fatalities. Improvements were made to the intersection to improve visibility, including vegetation removal and shoulder widening along Hwy 7. In the five month period following the completion of these improvements, no collisions were reported at the intersection. Photos taken in 1952.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)





HWY 400 #61

Above - Zone painting on the new Hwy 400 at the Hwy 7 Cloverleaf, taken shortly after Hwy 400 was officially opened to traffic. Photo taken on July 4, 1952. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)





HWY 7 #527             HWY 7 #531

NEW Left - New Nith River Bridge (Rau Bridge) on a partially-completed diversion of Hwy 7 & Hwy 8 at New Hamburg in 1952. This diversion initially only carried local traffic to a Waterloo County Road (Bleams Road). However, the Rau Bridge was ultimately incorporated into the New Hamburg Bypass, which was completed in its entirety and opened to traffic in 1957. Photo taken on July 31, 1952.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)

NEW Right - Paved section of Hwy 7 through a widened rock cut, 5 miles east of the Hwy 37 Junction near Actinolite. Photo taken in 1953.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1953)





HWY 400 #52

Above - Hwy 400 & Hwy 7 Interchange looking northeast towards Maple. Photo taken on October 1, 1953. See an Enlarged Photo Here. The present-day site of the Hwy 400 & Hwy 407 ETR Interchange is situated in the bottom-right corner of this photo, while Weston Road can be seen approaching its intersection with Hwy 7 at left. Compare the 1953 aerial photo of the Hwy 400 & Hwy 7 Interchange in Vaughan shown above with this 2004 aerial photo, which I took to show the unfortunate urban sprawl that has taken place over the past 25 years in this part of York Region. Nearly all of the vacant land seen in the 1953 photo above has become urbanized.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2, Box B986, Photo #650-15)





HWY 7 #533             HWY 7 #532

NEW Left - New asphalt surface on Hwy 7, 4 miles east of the Hwy 37 Junction near Actinolite. Photo taken on November 18, 1953.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1953)

NEW Right - Rock fill widening along Hwy 7 at Silver Lake, 18 miles west of Perth. Photo taken on July 30, 1954.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)





HWY 7 #534

NEW Above - New channelized right turn ramps at the reconstructed Hwy 7 & Hwy 79 Junction, facing west towards Sarnia. Photo taken on August 12, 1954.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)





HWY 24 #52

Above - Facing north along Wyndham Street (Hwy 6, Hwy 7 & Hwy 24) from Carden Street in Guelph in 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of L. F. Charter)





HWY 35 #163

Above - Completed grading on a section of the Lindsay Bypass (Hwy 7 & Hwy 35) in September, 1957.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1957)





HWY 35 #166

Above - Completed Scugog River Bridge on the Lindsay Bypass (Hwy 7 & Hwy 35) in 1959, facing west.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 402 #3

Above - Postcard view of the western terminus of Hwy 402 at the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia (ca. 1960)
(Photograph courtesy of Bert Knechtel)

This aerial photo shows the western terminus of Hwy 402 at the Bluewater Bridge, before Hwy 402 was rebuilt as a fully controlled-access freeway through Sarnia. The concrete highway approaching from the left is Hwy 7 & Hwy 40 from Downtown Sarnia. These two routes joined into Hwy 402 at an at-grade intersection just before the Bluewater Bridge Customs Building in the background. This road configuration remained virtually unchanged for three decades following the completion of Hwy 402 through Sarnia in the early 1950s. In 1981, a new interchange was completed at Front Street and the at-grade intersection shown here was subsequently closed off. See an Enlarged Photo here.





HWY 7 #63

Above - New Otonabee River Bridge on Peterborough Bypass (1961)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1961)





HWY 402 #1

Above - Junction of Hwy 402 and Lucasville Road east of Sarnia (November 28, 1962)

(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-151-7-16, Photo #3851)

This aerial photo of Hwy 402 shows the junction of Lucasville Road and the adjacent Hwy 7 junction, just east of Sarnia (facing east). Lucasville Road was later incorporated into the Sarnia Bypass and was re-designated as Hwy 40 in the mid-1960s. The at-grade intersection at Hwy 402 was eventually eliminated through the construction of a proper interchange at Hwy 40. In the 1970s, Hwy 402 was extended easterly from Sarnia towards London and was realigned through the area in the bottom left corner of the photo. The Hwy 402 connection to Hwy 7 seen here was subsequently removed and is now the site of a shopping plaza. Sarnia's present day "Golden Mile" can be seen along Hwy 7 in the top left corner of this photo. See an Enlarged Photo here.





HWY 10 #151

NEW Above - Postcard view of the Hwy 7 & Hwy 10 Junction in Downtown Brampton in 1963, facing north. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of R. Gordon Robinson)





HWY 7 #416             HWY 7 #417

Left - Facing east towards the Silver Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 between Georgetown and Norval. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in August, 1966.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

Right - Silver Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 west of Norval. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in August, 1966.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





HWY 7 #501

Above - Aerial view of the Hwy 7 & Hwy 50 Junction at Sunset Corners in 1967, facing southeast towards Toronto. This great photo shows the pre-construction conditions at this major highway junction between Woodbridge and Brampton. Shortly after this photo was taken, Hwy 7 was expanded to four lanes and the intersection was rebuilt with right-turn channels on all approaches. Most notable here are the four service stations on each corner. A Fina station occupied the northwest corner, a British-American (B-A) station occupied the northeast corner, an Esso station occupied the southeast corner and a Texaco station occupied the southwest corner. Out of these four brands of gasoline retailers, only Esso is still in operation in 2016. All four service stations at the highway junction were demolished to make way for the widened Hwy 7 in 1971. The only surviving landmarks in this photo are the historic buildings of Sunny Maple Farms in the background, whose barn with the rooftop sign still remains in place to this day. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1967.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2016)





HWY 7 #418             HWY 7 #419

Left - New West Duffins Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 between Markham and Greenwood, facing east towards Brooklin. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in April, 1969.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

Right - New West Duffins Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 east of Markham. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in April, 1969.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





HWY 7 #420             HWY 7 #421

Left - Facing east across the new Little Rouge Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 at Locust Hill east of Markham. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in April, 1969.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

Right - New Little Rouge Creek Bridge on Hwy 7 east of Markham. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in April, 1969.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)




Continue on to King's Highway 7 Photos: Historical Photos: 1970 to 1979



Back to Hwy 7 - Historical Photos (1920-1949)      Back to Hwy 7 Photo Index      On to Hwy 7 - Historical Photos (1970-1979)



Back to King's Highway 6 Photos     /    King's Highway 7 History    /   On to King's Highway 8 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2019, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!