QEW Sign Graphic QEW Title Graphic QEW Sign Graphic   

Back to QEW - Historical Photos: 1932-1939      QEW Photo Index      On to QEW - Historical Photos: 1950-1959

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's Queen Elizabeth Way dating from 1940 to 1949. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 2: Historical Queen Elizabeth Way Photographs (1940 to 1949)


QEW #42

Above - Elizabeth Regina "ER" Highway Sign on the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Sheridan Diversion northeast of Oakville in 1940. These special "ER" highway signs were in use from the highway's initial dedication in 1939 up until the mid-1950s, when they replaced with the more familiar "QEW" route markers which are still used on the highway to this day. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on February 20, 1940.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-3, Box A1352, Photo #2617S)





QEW #755

NEW Above - Plan showing the new route of the Queen Elizabeth Way from Toronto to Fort Erie in 1940. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #34             QEW #764

Left - Construction progress on the new Canadian National Railway (CNR) Overhead on the Queen Elizabeth Way at the western entrance to Toronto. Photo taken on April 1, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)

NEW Right - Concrete paving operations underway on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Grimsby in 1940. The entire section of the highway from the Stoney Creek Traffic Circle to the Henley Bridge in St. Catharines was paved under a very aggressive 10-week construction timeline. The goal was to have the new Niagara leg of the Queen Elizabeth Way ready for service before the start of the 1940 Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) in Toronto. Photo taken on June 21, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #765             QEW #766

NEW Left - Night paving operations of the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1940. In order to complete paving in time for the opening of the 1940 CNE in Toronto, construction crews worked 24 hours per day on various paving contracts along the Queen Elizabeth Way up and down the Niagara Peninsula. The CNE attracted thousands of American motorists each summer. Prior to the completion of the Niagara leg of the Queen Elizabeth Way, the sheer volume of tourists heading to the CNE contributed to serious traffic tie-ups along Hwy 8 between Niagara Falls and Hamilton. Photo taken on June 21, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)

NEW Right - Labourers using brooms to apply an anti-skid texture to the new concrete surface of the Queen Elizabeth Way near Grimsby. Photo taken on June 21, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #767             QEW #768

NEW Left - Concrete spreader in operation near Grimsby during paving of the Queen Elizabeth Way. Photo taken on June 21, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)

NEW Right - Paving the Queen Elizabeth Way near Grimsby, showing ponding operations to cure the concrete. Photo taken on June 21, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #125             QEW #126

Left - View of the Queen Elizabeth Way west of Guelph Line near Freeman in 1940, facing east towards Oakville. Landscaped medians such as this were once a common sight along the Queen Elizabeth Way in the highway's earlier days. As traffic volumes along the highway grew after World War II, the old grassed median was gradually filled in and replaced with a centre median barrier to separate the opposing flows or traffic. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on August 15, 1940.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B983, Photo #3040S)

Right - Facing north along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards the Hwy 2 Junction (today's North Shore Boulevard) from Burlington Beach in 1940. Prior to the construction of the Burlington Skyway in the 1950s, the Queen Elizabeth Way narrowed from a four-lane divided highway to a two-lane undivided pavement approaching the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge on Beach Boulevard. Although a new high-level fixed canal crossing had been envisioned here in the late 1930s, the outbreak of World War II deferred its construction for many years. By the early 1950s, the old lift bridge on Beach Boulevard had become a serious traffic bottleneck. Each time a ship had to pass through the canal, traffic became snarled at each end of the lift bridge. This problem was ultimately resolved with the completion of the Burlington Skyway in October, 1958. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on August 16, 1940.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B983, Photo #3043S)





QEW #92             QEW #101

Left - Queen Elizabeth Way facing east towards the Niagara and Vine Street Cloverleaf in St. Catharines in 1940. This photo shows the completed dual concrete pavement along the Queen Elizabeth Way, and the new highway illumination system being installed. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on August 21, 1940.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B983, Photo #3068S)

Right - Aerial view of the Martindale Road Cloverleaf on the Queen Elizabeth Way near St. Catharines in 1940. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2, Box B983, Photo #3266S)





QEW #758

NEW Above - Newly-built Queen Elizabeth Way monument at the western entrance to Toronto in 1940. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #756             QEW #763

NEW Left - Ontario Highways Minister Thomas Baker McQuesten cuts a ceremonial ribbon in St. Catharines on August 23, 1940, to officially open the Queen Elizabeth Way to traffic between Niagara Falls and Toronto. It should be noted that at the time this photo was taken, construction was still ongoing on the extension of the Queen Elizabeth Way from Niagara Falls to Fort Erie, while several sections of the highway between Toronto and Burlington had already been in service for several years. Photo taken on August 23, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)

NEW Right - Church Street (Royal York Road) Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Etobicoke Township approaching Toronto. Constructed in 1938, this was the first of several grade separations built to carry local streets over the proposed Toronto Entrance Highway (Queen Elizabeth Way). A 4-mile section of new controlled-access highway was built approaching the western entrance to Toronto between 1938 and 1940. This new controlled-access highway was Ontario's first true freeway. It extended across Etobicoke Township from the Hwy 27 Cloverleaf to the Hwy 2 (Lakeshore Boulevard) Interchange near Mimico. This new freeway had no local access points or entrances whatsoever. Motorists could only enter or exit the Queen Elizabeth Way at the two interchanges at either end of the freeway. This new Toronto Entrance Highway bypassed the old "Middle Road" entrance to Toronto via Queen Street (Queensway). Photo taken on October 8, 1940.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #103             QEW #757

Left - Cloverleaf interchange construction at Hwy 27 (Brown's Line) and the Queen Elizabeth Way, facing east towards Toronto in 1940. This photograph shows the beginning of the new freeway entrance to Toronto, which was built between 1938 and 1940. The freeway extended from Hwy 27 (today's Hwy 427) easterly to Hwy 2 near the Humber River. The fields in the lower left corner are now the present-day site of the Sherway Gardens Shopping Centre. Evans Avenue can be seen to the right of the Queen Elizabeth Way, while Queen Street (today's Queensway) can be seen to the left of the Queen Elizabeth Way. Also, note the construction crew at centre left and upper left removing the old curved pavement of the former Queen Street-to-Middle Road transfer. Before the new western approach to Toronto was built through Etobicoke Township, the Queen Elizabeth Way simply merged with Queen Street near the present-day intersection of Queensway and The East Mall. Traffic then had to follow Queen Street all the way into Toronto. The new freeway at the western entrance to Toronto greatly expedited traffic flow into the city centre. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-3 Photo #3262S)

NEW Right - Facing west along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards Hamilton from the Hwy 27 (Brown's Line) Cloverleaf in Etobicoke Township in 1940. This wonderful photograph shows the newly-completed Hwy 27 Cloverleaf, situated at the present-day location of the multi-level interchange at Hwy 427 and the Queen Elizabeth Way near Sherway Gardens Shopping Centre. Before this cloverleaf was built in 1940, Hwy 27 intersected the Queen Elizabeth Way at an at-grade intersection with traffic signals. Back in the 1940s, the Queen Elizabeth Way passed through a predominantly rural area, with many miles of open country between Toronto, Port Credit, Oakville and Burlington. How times have changed!
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #124             QEW #762

Left - View of the Queen Elizabeth Way facing east towards Toronto from the Church Street (Royal York Road) Overpass in 1940. This photograph shows the newly-opened "freeway" section of the Queen Elizabeth Way through Etobicoke Township. The overpass which can be seen in the background is Grand Avenue. The Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) applied the freeway design principle when planning for the new 4-mile Toronto Entrance Highway. All local access points to the freeway were prohibited, with vehicular access only permitted to the highway at specially-designed grade-separated interchanges. Although the concept of a freeway is a commonly seen, understood and accepted transportation feature in our present-day world, the freeway was an innovative (and somewhat controversial) idea at the time this highway was designed in the late 1930s. Ontario was an early adopter of the freeway concept and built many more of these types of highways after World War II. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on October 8, 1940.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  - Series RG-14-162-3 Photo #3112S)

NEW Right - Rock cut construction on the Rainbow Bridge Approach at Newman Hill near Victoria Avenue in Niagara Falls (1940)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #759

NEW Above - Construction progress on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls (1940)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #761             QEW #760

NEW Left - Construction of the Welland River Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way south of Niagara Falls (1940)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)

NEW Right - Fort Erie Railway Overhead under construction on the Queen Elizabeth Way (1940)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1940)





QEW #773             QEW #562

NEW Left - Circa 1940 postcard view of the Canadian entrance to the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of the Photogelatine Engraving Company Ltd, Ottawa)

Right - Queen Elizabeth Way at Grimsby, facing east towards St. Catharines from the Patton Street Overpass in 1941. Note the new highway illumination system installed in the highway's median. Once the lighting system was completed in 1940, the Queen Elizabeth Way was continuously illuminated from Toronto to Niagara Falls. However, the hydro supply to the luminaires ultimately had to be turned off during World War II as an energy conservation measure. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)





QEW #36

Above - Queen Elizabeth Way Monument in the median of the dual highway, just west of Toronto (1941)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)





QEW #37             QEW #38

Left - Queen Elizabeth Way Monument at the end of the highway, just west of Toronto (1941)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)

Right - Close-up of the Queen Elizabeth Way Monument west of Toronto in 1941, showing the inscription in the stone. As a result of a highway widening project in the mid-1970s, the monument was moved from its old location in the Queen Elizabeth Way's median to a public park at the mouth of the Humber River in Toronto.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)





QEW #35

Above - Wartime traffic volumes on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Grimsby in 1941. Business and commercial vehicles outnumbered passenger vehicles at a ratio of 6 to 2.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)





QEW #95             QEW #44

Left - Construction of the Victoria Avenue Overpass on the Rainbow Bridge Approach at Newman Hill in Niagara Falls. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on February 26, 1941.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B983, Photo #3353S)

Right - The new Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, which officially opened to traffic on November 1, 1941
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)





QEW #250

Above - Queen Elizabeth Way Monument west of the Humber River Bridge in 1941. This photograph shows the new monument erected in the median of the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1940 to commemorate the completion of the highway. This beautiful structure graced the Toronto entrance to the Queen Elizabeth Way until 1974, when a highway widening project forced its removal. Due to the fortunate foresight of historians and the Ministry of Transportation, the monument was relocated to an adjacent park for future generations to enjoy. Sadly, this example of historical preservation is an exception rather than the rule. Ontario's highway heritage continues to disappear at an alarming rate. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on November 14, 1941.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-151-21-50 Photo #A05467)





QEW #769             QEW #770

NEW Left - Rear cover of the 1941 Official Road Map of Ontario, showing a route map of the Queen Elizabeth Way. The highway was featured rather prominently on various Official Road Maps from the 1940s, clearly indicating the DHO's pride in their significant highway-building accomplishment. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1941)

NEW Right - Rear cover of the 1942 Official Road Map of Ontario, showing a route map of the Queen Elizabeth Way. The 1942 Official Road Map was the final Wartime edition of this publication, before production of the Official Road Map was suspended for the balance of World War II. Production of the Official Road Map resumed again on a limited basis in 1945. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1942)





QEW #45

Above - View across the Rainbow Bridge looking towards New York State from the Toll Plaza and Customs Buildings (1942)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1942)





QEW #46             QEW #47

Left - New Toll Plaza and landscaped entrance in front of the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls (1942)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1942)

Right - Queen Elizabeth Way approach to the Rainbow Bridge at Newman Hill, showing the Victoria Avenue Overpass (1942)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1942)





QEW #48

Above - View of the new Rainbow Bridge from the Customs Building parking lot (1942)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1942)





QEW #39A             QEW #40

Left - Jordan Harbour DHO Roadside Park on the Queen Elizabeth Way between St. Catharines and Grimsby (1943)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1943)

Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way approaching Jordan Harbour from the west (1944)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1944)





QEW #41             QEW #58

Left - American motorists arriving in Ontario by the hundreds at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie on Labour Day Weekend, 1945. The end of World War II brought about an unprecedented increase in tourism in Ontario. Motor travel had been severely restricted during the War due to gasoline and tire rationing. This photo clearly illustrates the universal desire of motorists to "Hit the Road" again after six years of seemingly endless hostilities in Europe and the Pacific. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1945)

Right - Circa 1945 postcard view of an undivided four-lane section of the Queen Elizabeth Way approaching the Oakville Bridge. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Jack H. Bain)





QEW #771             QEW #772

NEW Left - Rear cover of the 1945-1946 Official Road Map of Ontario, showing a route map of the Queen Elizabeth Way. The rear cover of the 1945-1946 Official Road Map is nearly identical to the 1942 Edition, with one notable exception - the note at the bottom of the map advertising the availability of the Official Weekly Road Bulletin has been removed. The Official Weekly Road Bulletin also suspended production during 1942 and was not resumed again until 1946. The 1945-1946 Official Road Map is one of the rarest in Ontario's Official Road Map series, with only a handful of copies known to exist today. It is believed that only a small quantity of the 1945-1946 Edition were ever printed. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1945)

NEW Right - Rear cover of the 1946 Official Road Map of Ontario, showing a route map of the Queen Elizabeth Way. This map reflects the revised cartographic style used on the 1946 Official Road Map and was the last time a separate map was prepared specifically for the Queen Elizabeth Way. This map was omitted from the Official Road Maps starting in 1947. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1946)





QEW #543             QEW #544

Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way in St. Catharines, facing east towards the Niagara Street Cloverleaf in 1947. This aerial photo shows a virtually empty Queen Elizabeth Way through St. Catharines. Apart from some sporadic Post-War development around the Niagara Street Cloverleaf, there was nothing but open space along the highway through St. Catharines at that time. However, it was not to last. Substantial land development in the northern part of St. Catharines in the 1950s resulted in increased amounts of local traffic crossing the Queen Elizabeth Way at various access points. At the time of the Niagara Street Cloverleaf's construction in 1939, the short acceleration and deceleration tapers at the cloverleaf were not an issue. Through traffic was light, so local traffic wishing to enter or exit the highway could do so with considerable ease. Unfortunately, as through traffic on the Queen Elizabeth Way became heavier, the lack of space for local traffic to merge or diverge at the highway became a serious traffic bottleneck, as traffic slowed to a crawl to access the ramps. The Department of Highways quickly took action, and replaced the outdated 1939 Cloverleaf at Niagara Street with a new interchange in 1963-1964. It is interesting to note in this historic 1947 photo that service roads already existed alongside the Queen Elizabeth Way through St. Catharines, representing an early attempt by the Department of Highways to control access to and from the high-speed motorway. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  RG-14-162-3, Box B1038, Volume #5, Photo #45)

Right - Aerial view of the Rainbow Bridge Approach Traffic Circle on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Niagara Falls in 1947. A new traffic circle was constructed at the junction of the Queen Elizabeth Way and the new Rainbow Bridge Approach (today's Hwy 420) in Niagara Falls in 1941. Originally, this junction was supposed to be a grade-separated interchange, but due to the growing shortages of construction materials and labour caused by World War II, it was decided that a traffic circle would be sufficient to handle the anticipated traffic volumes for the foreseeable future. In fact, the traffic circle remained in service right up until the early 1970s, when the current multi-level interchange at the Queen Elizabeth Way and Hwy 420 was built in 1971-1972. The Rainbow Bridge lies to the east (left in this photo), while the top of this photo faces south towards Fort Erie. The Lundy's Lane (Hwy 3A & Hwy 20) Cloverleaf can be seen in the background. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  RG-14-162-3, Photo #972-6)





QEW #234

Above - Aerial view of the Hwy 3A & Hwy 20 (Lundy's Lane) Cloverleaf on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Niagara Falls in 1947. This aerial photo shows the now-removed cloverleaf interchange at Lundy's Lane (Hwy 3A & Hwy 20) and the Queen Elizabeth Way, facing southwest. This interchange was replaced in the 1970s by a new interchange at the Queen Elizabeth Wa and the Rainbow Bridge Approach (Hwy 420). The original Lundy's Lane overpass (completed in 1940) still stands today. Note that in this photo, the concrete pavement on the Queen Elizabeth Way ended just beyond the cloverleaf. Due to post-war shortages of construction materials and other economic factors, the Queen Elizabeth Way remained a gravel road from the Lundy's Lane Cloverleaf to Fort Erie for many years. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  RG-14-162-3, 972-62, Photo #42)





QEW #246

Above - Rainbow Bridge Approach on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Niagara Falls (1947)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG 14-162-5-166, Photo #972-86)

This aerial photo shows the Dorchester Road Traffic Circle on the Rainbow Bridge Approach at the Queenston-Chippawa Power Canal. The Rainbow Bridge Approach (now Hwy 420) connects with the QEW at the second traffic circle in the background. The Lundy's Lane Cloverleaf on the QEW can be seen at the top of this photo. All three junctions were replaced in the 1970s with the reconstruction and widening of the Rainbow Bridge Approach.





QEW #247

Above - Burlington Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way facing east towards Burlington Beach (1947)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG 14-162-5-166, Photo #972-33)

This aerial photo shows the original Burlington Interchange, facing east towards Burlington Beach. What makes this photo especially interesting is the absence of the high-level Burlington Bay Skyway, which was still being designed when this photo was taken. See an Enlarged Photo Here.





QEW #248             QEW #264

Left - Burlington Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way facing south towards Hamilton in 1947. This aerial photo shows the original 1936 Burlington Interchange, facing south towards Downtown Hamilton. Originally, the Queen Elizabeth Way approached the interchange from Toronto (lower left of photo). To stay on the Queen Elizabeth Way for Niagara, drivers had to exit the highway at the trumpet interchange. The road continuing straight through the interchange became Plains Road which led to Hamilton. In the late 1950s, the Queen Elizabeth Way was diverted around this interchange to meet up with the proposed Hwy 403 at Freeman. The original 1936 overpass was retained to provide access from Plains Road to the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way until 1984, when it was demolished to make way for the widened Burlington Skyway approach. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG 14-162-5-166, Photo #972-32)

Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way approaching Patton Street (now Christie Street) in Grimsby in 1947, facing east. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  RG-14-162-5-166, 972-39, Photo #49)





QEW #85

Above - Looking west along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards Oakville at the Hwy 10 Cloverleaf at Port Credit. Photo taken on May 10, 1947. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  RG-14-162-3, Cont. A1367, Photo #6652)





QEW #652

Above - Resurfaced section of the Queen Elizabeth Way at Lower Middle Road (Royal Windsor Drive) east of Oakville . Photo taken on November 10, 1947.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1947)





QEW #281

Above - View of the Queen Elizabeth Way in Grimsby during the spring blossom in 1949. Sadly, many of the fruit trees adjacent to the QEW were cut down over the years in an effort to improve highway safety and to make room for additional traffic lanes and interchanges along the highway. As a result, scenes like this one are much less common today than during the early years of the QEW. Photo taken on May 6, 1949.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1949)





QEW #96

Above - Newman Hill and Victoria Avenue Overpass on the Rainbow Bridge Approach on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Niagara Falls. Photo taken on May 6, 1949. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B984, Photo #11)





QEW #16             QEW #15

Left - Bituminous penetration paving operations underway on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Tea Creek north of Fort Erie. Photo taken on September 15, 1949.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1949)

Right - Queen Elizabeth Way, 4 miles south of Niagara Falls shortly after bituminous penetration paving was completed. Photo taken on September 15, 1949.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1949)




Continue on to Queen Elizabeth Way Historical Photos from 1950-1959



Back to QEW - Historical Photos: 1932-1939      QEW Photo Index      On to QEW - Historical Photos: 1950-1959



Back to King's Highway 427 Photos     /    Queen Elizabeth Way History

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!