History of King's Highway 106:
King's Highway 106 was a short collector highway which served primarily as a cut-off route between Highway 2 at Welcome and Highway 28 at Dale in the Port Hope area. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the Department of Public Highways of Ontario (DPHO) on June 14, 1922, showing the proposed Provincial Highway between Welcome and Dale. The route was first assumed by the DPHO as a new Provincial Highway on July 29, 1922. The road was paved in 1928, indicating that it was a popular short cut for early Ontario motorists travelling between Toronto and Peterborough in the days before Highway 115 was completed. The road was not assigned the designation of Highway 106 until 1953. At this time, it is uncertain whether or not a route number was actually assigned to this short highway prior to 1953, or whether the road was simply known as the Welcome to Dale Cut-Off. This highway was downloaded from the province to Northumberland County effective April 1, 1989, and has since been known as Northumberland County Road 74.
When visiting Welcome, have a look for the Harry Martyn Monument on the southeast corner of Highway 106 (Northumberland Road 74) and Highway 2. The small stone monument was erected in 1943 by the Department of Highways. Click here for more information on the Harry Martyn Monument.