History of King's Highway 11B (Callander):
The Callander Highway 11B Business Route was created in the late 1950s. When the first Callander Bypass was completed and opened to traffic in October 1959, the 3.4 km section of Highway 11 passing through Downtown Callander along Main Street was apparently renumbered as Highway 11B. This route is somewhat of a mystery, as it never appeared in any of the Department of Highways' mileage logs from the 1960s. The route was officially transferred from the province to the Township of North Himsworth on August 11, 1962. However, references to Callander's Highway 11B were found in a Department of Highways' document dated 1971, which suggests that the route was still being signed as Highway 11B at that time. In all likelihood, this was an unofficial, municipally-signed route. The 1977 Official Ontario Road Map was the first edition to show the old route of Highway 11 through Callander as a municipal road, and not as a provincial highway. However, it is not certain if the route ceased to be signed as Highway 11B at that time.