History of King's Highway 11B (Gravenhurst):
The Gravenhurst Highway 11B Business Route was apparently created after a new Highway 11 Bypass (Bethune Drive) was completed around Gravenhurst in 1948. The business route followed the original route of Highway 11 through Downtown Gravenhurst. It is not known for certain at this time if the route was known as Highway 11B initially in 1948. However, the route appears in the Department of Highways' mileage tables as Highway 11B throughout the 1960s and early 1970s. The 2.6 km route followed Muskoka Road (signed concurrently with Highway 69) and Winewood Avenue. In 1970, the route of Highway 11B was changed when the second Gravenhurst Bypass was completed and opened to traffic across Gull Lake Narrows. This new four-lane highway completely bypassed the town, resulting in a much longer Highway 11B Business Route through town. The route of Highway 11B was apparently shifted onto Bethune Drive (the first Gravenhurst Bypass that was completed in 1948) so that the route formed a continuous loop through town on a single street. The length of Highway 11B from 1970 to 1972 was 6.6 km. In 1972, Gravenhurst's Highway 11B Business Loop was decommissioned. The highway is now known as Muskoka Road 169 (Formerly Highway 169) and Muskoka Road 41 (Bethune Drive).