History of King's Highway 11B (North Bay):
North Bay's Highway 11B Business Route was created in 1958, when the former route of Highway 11 through Downtown North Bay was given a new route number. For several years following the completion of the North Bay Bypass in 1953, both the old route of Highway 11 through the city (via Lakeshore Drive, Main Street and Algonquin Avenue) and the North Bay Bypass were posted with the Highway 11 route number. This led to some confusion amongst motorists who found that Highway 11 split into two routes on the approaches to North Bay. During 1958, the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) decided that the old route of Highway 11 through Downtown North Bay would be renumbered as Highway 11B. The route of Highway 11B ran concurrently with Highway 17B along a portion of Main Street between Fisher Street and Algonquin Avenue. On November 20, 1958, an Order-in-Council was signed which designated the non-assumed portion of Highway 11B through the City of North Bay as a Municipal Connecting Link. However, for many years the DHO retained ownership of Highway 11B via Lakeshore Drive through West Ferris Township, located immediately south of the City of North Bay.
The assumed section of Highway 11B lying to the south of North Bay was transferred from the province to the Township of West Ferris, effective July 9, 1966. The transferred section of Highway 11B through the Township of West Ferris was subsequently designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council dated July 20, 1966. The Township of West Ferris was later amalgamated with the City of North Bay, meaning that the entire route of Highway 11B was under the city's jurisdiction. In the mid-1970s, Highway 11B was rerouted along a system of one-way streets through Downtown North Bay. Between Fisher Street and Algonquin Avenue, Highway 11B followed Oak Street southbound and McIntyre Street northbound. The revised route of Highway 11B through the new one-way street system was designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council dated August 21, 1974. The route of Highway 11B remained more or less the same from the mid-1970s up until the late 1990s. North Bay's Highway 11B Municipal Connecting Link designation was formally repealed by a Minister's Order dated November 6, 1998. Prior to being decommissioned, North Bay's Highway 11B Business Route was 11.9 km in length.