History of King's Highway 12B (Orillia):
This Business Route was created in 1958, when the new South Orillia Bypass opened to traffic. The old alignment of Highway 12 through Downtown Orillia (via Coldwater Road, Front Street, and Atherley Road) became Highway 12B. Most sections of Highway 12B were non-assumed by the Department of Highways, and thus most of the route was under the jurisdiction of the Town of Orillia. Shortly after the route of Highway 12B was established, a provincially-owned section of the route was transferred to the Town of Orillia. The section of Highway 12B via Atherley Road from Moffat Street to the South Orillia Bypass (Highway 12) was decommissioned and transferred to the municipality on March 19, 1959. An Order-in-Council was passed on May 21, 1959, which established a new route of Highway 12B through Orillia as a Municipal Connecting Link. This new route began at the South Orillia Bypass and followed West Street north to Downtown Orillia. From there, Highway 12B ran west along Coldwater Road, where Highway 12B connected back to Highway 12. The route of Highway 12B was restored to its original 1958 routing in 1974, when the Municipal Connecting Link Agreement was amended to reflect a route via Coldwater Road, Front Street and Atherley Road, effective March 6, 1974. Highway 12B was 4.2 km in length. The highway remained as a signed Business Route until 1982, when it was changed to an unposted 7000-series route number (Highway 7184). Four other Highway 12B Business Routes have existed over the years in Port McNicoll, Coldwater, Gamebridge and Victoria Harbour.