History of King's Highway 2A (Alt.) Chatham:
King's Highway 2A (Alt.) was established in 1957, along the former route of Highway 2 through Downtown Chatham. The route of Highway 2 had been relocated onto a new alignment through Chatham, via Grand Avenue and the new western Chatham Bypass (Keil Drive). The route of Highway 2A (Alt.) branched off of Highway 2 at the intersection of Richmond Street and Keil Drive. Highway 2A (Alt.) then followed Richmond Street, Queen Street, School Street, 5th Street and Thames Street through Downtown Chatham. The route joined up with Highway 2 at the intersection of Thames Street and Grand Avenue. It is not certain if this road was ever signed as Highway 2A. It is possible that the Department of Highways signed this highway as "Highway 2" with an "ALT." or "Alternate" tab below the route marker. The alternate route through Chatham remained unchanged until 1961, when the entire route of Highway 2A (Alt.) was renumbered as Highway 2B. The new route number came into effect on February 7, 1961. Two unrelated Highway 2A (Alt.) Routes also existed in London and Cornwall.