History of King's Highway 2A (Alt.) London:
King's Highway 2A (Alt.) was a short urban alternate route that was established in Downtown London in 1956, to relieve congestion on Highway 2 (Dundas Street). The route of Highway 2A (Alt.) branched off of Highway 2 & Highway 4 at the intersection of Wharncliffe Road and Stanley Street. Highway 2A (Alt.) followed Stanley Street, York Street, Florence Street, and Highbury Avenue through Downtown London. Highway 2A (Alt.) joined up with Highway 2 at the intersection of Highbury Avenue and Dundas Street. It is not certain if this road was ever signed as Highway 2A. It is possible that the Department of Highways signed this highway as "Highway 2" with an "ALT." or "Alternate" tab below the route marker. The route remained unchanged until 1968, when the entire route of Highway 2A (Alt.) was renumbered as Highway 2. Two unrelated Highway 2A (Alt.) Routes also existed in Cornwall and Chatham.