History of King's Highway 34:
King's Highway 34 is a minor collector highway which links Hawkesbury with Highway 417 in Eastern Ontario. Until recently, the highway was much longer. Prior to 1998, the highway continued south of Highway 417, eventually linking with Highway 2 & Highway 401 at Lancaster. Highway 34 was first established in 1930 when a new provincial highway was designated along the eastern boundary of Ontario. Highway 34 was designated in order to provide another provincial highway connection between Highway 2 and Highway 17. The route of Highway 34 did not change significantly until 1998, when a 44 km section of the highway lying south of the Highway 417 Interchange was decommissioned and transferred to the County of Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry. This downloaded section of Highway 34 is now known as Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Road 34.
Highway 34 passes through a predominantly rural area along its original 61 km route. The only major towns located along the original highway are Alexandria, Vankleek Hill & Hawkesbury. The highway is a two-lane road for almost its entire length, although the section of Highway 34 approaching the Highway 17 Interchange in Hawkesbury is a four-lane undivided highway. Services along Highway 34 are available in most communities. The speed limit on Highway 34 is 80 km/h (50 mph), unless posted otherwise. Please visit the Highway 34 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 34.
Additional Information About King's Highway 34: