History of King's Highway 3C:
King's Highway 3C was a short collector highway that connected Crystal Beach & Ridgeway to Highway 3 at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie. The route was first assumed as a King's Highway in the 1930s. Preliminary Route Plans were prepared in the Spring of 1934 for a proposed King's Highway in Welland County. The proposed highway ran more or less parallel to Highway 3, but it offered a more direct connection between Fort Erie and the popular beach communities of Ridgeway and Crystal Beach via Dominion Road. The route of Highway 3C from Ridgeway to Fort Erie was first assumed by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) on June 20, 1934. The section of Highway 3C running through the Village of Fort Erie along Lakeshore Road was not assumed by the DHO, and thus that section of the highway remained under municipal jurisdiction. The DHO constructed 6 miles of concrete pavement along Highway 3C between Fort Erie and Ridgeway during 1934. The highway changed little during its 36-year existence. Highway 3C was downloaded to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Niagara, effective September 1, 1970. Since that time, the former route of Highway 3C has been known as Niagara Regional Road 1.
The meaning of the peculiar "C" suffix assigned to this route is uncertain. Only two other highways were assigned a "C" suffix in Ontario. One was Highway 7C in Peterborough, which was established in 1933. The other was the mysterious (and likely unposted) route of Highway 40C in Downtown Sarnia during the 1960s. The reasons behind Highway 3C's rather unusual route number may never be known.