History of Secondary Highway 613:
Secondary Highway 613 is a local highway in the District of Rainy River that provides access to a number of rural townships in the Devlin area, west of Fort Frances. Highway 613 was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in April, 1956 and was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route of Highway 613 extended north from Highway 602 at Big Fork via the Devlin & Lake Despair Road for approximately 25 miles (40 km) to Lake Despair, where the highway ended at the Government Dock. Highway 613 was originally gravel-surfaced for its entire length, but a primed bituminous surface was constructed from Lake Despair southerly for 9 miles in 1970. The section of Highway 613 from a point 9 miles south of Lake Despair southerly to Devlin (Highway 11 & Highway 71 Junction) was shown with a paved surface on the 1974 Ontario Official Road Map. The last gravel section of Highway 613 from Devlin southerly to the Highway 602 Junction at Big Fork was shown with a paved surface on the 1977 Ontario Official Road Map. The route of Highway 613 has not changed since it was originally established in 1956. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 613 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available on Highway 613 at the Highway 11 & Highway 71 Junction in Devlin and at the Naicatchewenin First Nation's store near the highway's northern terminus at Lake Despair.