History of Secondary Highway 623 (#2):
The Secondary Highway 623 designation was used again on a different highway in the District of Rainy River beginning in 1962. The current route of Highway 623 serves as an access road between Highway 11 and the timber mill at Sapawe, located east of Atikokan. The proposed route of Highway 623 was first shown on a highway plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in February, 1962. The new highway was formally designated as Highway 623 by an Order-in-Council, effective May 17, 1962. The highway was gravel-surfaced for its entire length initially, but was paved in 1965. The route of Highway 623 has not changed much since it was first established, apart from a small realignment of the highway at the Canadian National Railway (CNR) crossing at Blalock in 1965. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 623 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway. A different, unrelated Highway 623 existed between Rainy River and Harris Hill from 1956 until 1960.