History of Secondary Highway 625:
Secondary Highway 625 is a local highway in the District of Thunder Bay that provides access from the small community of Caramat to Highway 11 east of Longlac. A highway plan was prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in December 1957, which showed the proposed 19-mile (30 km) route of Highway 625. The new highway began at Caramat and headed in a northwesterly direction towards Longlac. Highway 625 connected to Highway 11 near Pamela Lake, located about 10 miles (16 km) east of Longlac. The new highway was designated as Highway 625 by an Order-in-Council, effective April 17, 1958. The highway was gravel-surfaced at first. Paving operations commenced from Highway 11 in 1970 and progressed southerly towards Caramat. The highway was first shown with a completely paved surface on the 1972 Ontario Official Road Map. Few changes have been made to the route of Highway 625, apart from a realignment of the highway approaching the Highway 11 Junction. As originally established in 1958, Highway 625 met Highway 11 at a "Y-Junction". The intersection was reconfigured in 1976 so that the two highways met at a right angle. The old bypassed section of Highway 625 which led to the former location of the Highway 11 Junction was legally closed to traffic by an Order-in-Council, effective August 20, 1981. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 625 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway, but services are available on Highway 11 in nearby Longlac.