Hwy 82 Sign Graphic Hwy 82 Title Graphic Hwy 82 Sign Graphic   

Ontario Highway 82 Quick Facts:
  • Years in Existence: 1938-1982
  • Current Status: Renumbered as King's Highway 79 in 1982
  • Current Name: Lambton Road 79
  • Location: Southern Ontario
  • Counties Served: Lambton
  • Towns Served: Thedford
  • Southern Terminus: Hwy 7 - South of Thedford
  • Northern Terminus: Hwy 21 - Port Franks
  • Length in 1982: 10.8 km / 6.7 miles
HWY 82 ROUTE MARKER
King's Highway 82 Sign
Image courtesy of Jamie Malecki

History of King's Highway 82:

King's Highway 82 was a short collector highway which once linked Highway 7 south of Thedford to Highway 21 at Port Franks in Lambton County. Highway 82 was created out of a major route renumbering which took place in the Forest area in the 1930s, in an effort to simplify highway route numbering in the area. In early 1938, the route of Highway 21 was relocated onto a new route via Forest, instead of its original route via Thedford, Arkona and Warwick. The new Highway 21 route via Forest was previously designated as Highway 21A, and was considerably more direct than the original route. Most of the old route of Highway 21 via Arkona and Warwick was signed concurrently with Highway 7, so the overlapped Highway 21 designation was simply removed from the route of Highway 7. However, the old section of Highway 21 that ran through Thedford was suddenly left without a route number. In order to provide a route number for this disjointed section of highway through Thedford, the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) assigned the King's Highway 82 designation to this short route in 1938 (See Map). Highway 21 was paved through Thedford in 1937 immediately before being renumbered as Highway 82. However, the balance of Highway 82 outside of Thedford remained gravel-surfaced throughout World War II, until it was finally paved in 1945.

The entire route of Highway 82 was under the jurisdiction of the DHO, with the exception of the portion of the route which passed through Thedford. This section of Highway 82 remained under municipal jurisdiction, but was formally designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective November 20, 1958. The route of Highway 82 remained more or less unchanged from that point up until the early 1980s, when another major route renumbering took place in Lambton County.

In yet another attempt to simplify route numbering and create better route continuity in this area, Highway 79 was extended north from its old northern terminus near Watford to join with Highway 21 at Port Franks, via Arkona and Thedford. Highway 79 was routed concurrently with Highway 7 between the Watford and Thedford areas. As a result of the Highway 79 Extension to Port Franks, the Highway 82 designation was supplanted in its entirety by the Highway 79 designation (See Map). It is believed that Highway 82 was renumbered as Highway 79 effective April 1, 1982, but this date has not been confirmed for certain. From a historical standpoint, it seems somewhat ironic that Highway 82 was both created and destroyed by route renumbering schemes, that were both intended to "simplify" the confusing highway numbering in this part of Ontario.





HYPERLINK TO HWY 82 ROUTE MAP PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO HWY 82 PHOTOGRAPHS PAGE - © Cameron Bevers



HYPERLINK TO HWY 81 PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO MAIN MENU PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO HWY 83 PAGE - © Cameron Bevers



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!