History of King's Highway 122:
King's Highway 122 was a short connecting highway which provided access between Highway 2 and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) near Oakville and Mississauga. The history of Highway 122 dates back to 1953, when Preliminary Route Plans were prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) for the proposed assumption of a new highway in Halton and Peel Counties. The original route of Highway 122 followed the Lower Middle Road (later known as Royal Windsor Drive) between the QEW and the Highway 2 Junction at Southdown Road. The section of the proposed highway lying within Halton County was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan dated June 5, 1953, while the section of the highway lying within Peel County was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan dated June 6, 1953. The sections of the proposed highway within Peel and Halton County were assumed on August 19, 1953, and September 2, 1953, respectively. The highway was initially 5.9 km (3.7 miles) in length and was originally gravel-surfaced. However, the entire highway was paved in 1956.
Highway 122 was extended north from Highway 2 during 1965. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared dated February 1, 1965, showing the proposed assumption of a portion of Peel County Road 18 (Southdown Road) as a new King's Highway. The plan was registered on April 1, 1965, and the extended route of Highway 122 from the QEW to Highway 2 was designated as a King's Highway by an Order-in-Council on April 14, 1965. This extended the route of Highway 122 by approximately 1 mile. This newly-extended route of Highway 122 allowed for easy access between Highway 2 and the QEW, from both directions. With the sudden urbanization of this area during the late 1960s, the route of Highway 122 began to serve more of a local function, rather than serve the needs of inter-city through traffic. Accordingly, jurisdiction over the entire route of Highway 122 was transferred from the DHO to the Towns of Mississauga and Oakville, effective April 1, 1970. The former route of Highway 122 is now known as Royal Windsor Drive and Southdown Road.
Additional Information About King's Highway 122:
Learn More About King's Highway 122 (My Upcoming Publications)