History of Secondary Highway 515:
Secondary Highway 515 was a minor collector highway that extended east from Highway 62 at Combermere to Highway 512 at Foymount, west of Eganville. Together with Highway 514, the route of Highway 515 provided an important connection between Highway 62 and Highway 28 through the road-sparse western portion of Renfrew County, via the small communities of Palmer Rapids and Schutt.
The Combermere-Quadeville Road was first designated as Highway 515 by the Ontario Department of Highways on May 9, 1956. Initially, Highway 515 was 25 km in length and ended at Quadeville. The highway was later extended easterly from Quadeville to join with Highway 512 at Foymount. On April 1, 1965, the Ontario Department of Highways assumed the Quadeville-Foymount Road as a new section of Highway 515, adding another 17 km to the length of the highway. Highway 515 was paved from Combermere to Jewellville in 1967 and the balance of the highway was paved in 1970.
Highway 515 was retained in the provincial highway system until the late 1990s, when it was transferred to Renfrew County because it was deemed to only serve a "local purpose". Effective January 1, 1998, Highway 515 was decommissioned as a provincial highway and was renamed Renfrew County Road 515. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 515 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available in Combermere, Palmer Rapids and Quadeville.
Learn More About Secondary Highway 515