History of Secondary Highway 524:
Secondary Highway 524 is a local highway in the District of Parry Sound that serves as a cut-off route between Highway 522 and Highway 534 west of Powassan. Highway 524 was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956, and was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in July, 1956. The Restoule Spur (Highway 524) extended north from Highway 522 at Farley's Corners for approximately 3 miles (5 km) to join with Highway 534 east of Restoule. The highway was initially gravel-surfaced, but was first shown with a completely paved surface on the 1980-81 Edition of the Ontario Official Road Map.The route of Highway 524 has not changed since it was first designated in 1956. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 524 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are no longer available on Highway 524, as the highway's only gas station at Farley's Corners has been closed. The nearest gas station is located on Highway 534 in Restoule.