History of Secondary Highway 540A:
Secondary Highway 540A is a local highway that serves as an access road between Highway 540 and the Gore Bay-Manitoulin Airport along with a small rural community on nearby Barrie Island. The road which ultimately became Secondary Highway 540A was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. However, it is believed that this short spur was originally signed as Highway 540, not Highway 540A. The highway was given its own suffixed route number at some point after 1956, but the exact year is not known. The route number of Highway 540A first appeared on the 1963 edition of the Official Ontario Road Map. Initially, Highway 540A ended at the causeway to Barrie Island. During the mid-1970s, the highway was extended westerly onto Barrie Island. The extension added approximately 2 km to the length of Highway 540A. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the Ministry of Transportation & Communications (MTC) on June 16, 1976, indicating the intention to assume the existing township road to Barrie Island as part of Highway 540A. The plan was registered on June 30, 1976, and the extension of Highway 540A was formally designated as a Secondary Highway by an Order-in-Council, effective August 11, 1976. Highway 540A was originally gravel-surfaced and was paved in 1981. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 540 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway.