Hwy 557 Hwy 557 Hwy 557   

Ontario Highway 557 Quick Facts:
  • Years in Existence: 1956-Present
  • Current Status: In Service
  • Location: Northeastern Ontario
  • District Served: Algoma
  • Towns Served: Blind River
  • Southern Terminus: Hwy 17 - Blind River
  • Northern Terminus: Matinenda Lake
  • Current Length: 22.7 km / 14.1 miles
HWY 557 SIGN - © Cameron Bevers
Secondary Highway 557 Sign © Cameron Bevers

History of Secondary Highway 557:

Secondary Highway 557 is a local highway in the District of Algoma that provides access from Highway 17 to Highway 555 and Matinenda Lake, located north of Blind River. Highway 557 was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route, which had been known previously as the Lake Matinenda Road, was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June, 1956. The highway was gravel-surfaced at the time of designation in 1956. The section of Highway 557 through Blind River was paved in the 1960s. The balance of Highway 557 from north of Blind River to Matinenda Lake remained gravel-surfaced up until the mid-1990s, when the highway was paved.

As originally assumed in 1956, the DHO owned Highway 557 in its entirety with the exception of the portions of the route passing through the Town of Blind River. This non-assumed section of the route from the Highway 17 Junction to Robb Road remained under municipal jurisdiction. The non-assumed section of Highway 557 through Blind River was designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective April 29, 1965. The route of Highway 557 followed Woodward Avenue into Downtown Blind River, where it separated into northbound and southbound routes via a one-way street system. Highway 557 followed Woodward Avenue (formerly Causley Street) northbound and Lawton Street southbound.

Apart from some minor revisions to the route of Highway 557 in a few locations, the highway did not change significantly until the 1990s. When the Town of Blind River's limits were expanded, a portion of Highway 557 was downloaded between the Highway 555 Junction and the former town limits near Robb Road. This 1.3 km section of Highway 557 was transferred from the province to the Town of Blind River, effective March 31, 1997. The Municipal Connecting Link through Blind River was revoked by a Minister's Order, effective September 18, 1997. Although the section of Highway 557 through Blind River is not maintained by the province, the route is still signed as Highway 557 for continuity. The route of Highway 557 is approximately 23 km in length today, including the 3 km non-assumed section of the highway lying within the Town of Blind River. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 557 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway, but services are available on Highway 17 in Blind River.





Learn More About Secondary Highway 557



Back to Hwy 556   /    On to Hwy 558

Learn More About Ontario Highway 557   /    Ontario Highway History - Main Menu   /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!