History of King's Highway 56:
King's Highway 56 was a short collector highway which connected Highway 3 near Canfield with Highway 20 & Highway 53 at Elfrida. The history of Highway 56 dates back to 1934, when Preliminary Route Plans were prepared in January of that year for the proposed assumption of a new highway in Haldimand and Wentworth Counties. The proposed highway began at Highway 3 west of Canfield and continued north to the Highway 20 Junction at Elfrida, near Hamilton. The entire 24 km route was assumed by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) as a new King's Highway on March 28, 1934. Initially, most of the route of Highway 56 was gravel-surfaced. The highway was only paved from Binbrook to Elfrida. The section of Highway 56 between Binbrook and Blackheath was paved in 1937 and the remainder of the highway from Blackheath to the Highway 3 Junction was paved in 1945. The route of Highway 56 remained more or less unchanged until the 1990s, when the entire highway was decommissioned. On March 31, 1997, Highway 56 was downloaded to Haldimand-Norfolk Region and Hamilton-Wentworth Region. The section of Highway 56 within Haldimand-Norfolk Region was initially renamed as Haldimand-Norfolk Regional Highway 56, but it has since been renamed Haldimand Highway 56, after the Region was reorganized into separate municipalities. In the amalgamated City of Hamilton, Highway 56 has been renamed Hamilton Highway 56. Services are frequently available along Highway 56. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 56 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Please visit the Highway 56 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 56.
Additional Information About King's Highway 56: