History of Secondary Highway 629:
Secondary Highway 629 was a local highway in the District of Cochrane that linked the Timmins Airport to Highway 101 in Timmins. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in April 1958, which showed the proposed assumption of the Timmins Airport Road as a new provincial highway. The new highway began at the northern limits of Timmins, which at that time were located at Jubilee Avenue and Young Street (today's Theriault Boulevard). The highway extended northerly for approximately 6 miles (10 km) to the Timmins Airport entrance. The Timmins Airport Road was designated as Highway 629 by an Order-in-Council, effective May 1, 1958. The highway was gravel-surfaced at first, but was paved in its entirety in 1959.
As originally designated in 1958, the DHO did not own the 1-mile section of Highway 629 between Algonquin Boulevard (Highway 101) and the northern limits of Timmins. This non-assumed portion of Highway 629 via Jubilee Avenue and Rea Street remained under municipal jurisdiction. This portion of the route was officially designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective October 12, 1961. The Municipal Connecting Link route was modified slightly in the early 1970s, when Highway 629 was rerouted via Theriault Boulevard. The old municipal route of Highway 629 via Rea Street was decommissioned in 1971. The revised route of Highway 629 via Theriault Boulevard was designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective September 15, 1971. The Municipal Connecting Link through Timmins remained in existence up until the late 1990s, when it was revoked by a Minister's Order, effective January 21, 1999.
Apart from some minor realignments, the route of Highway 629 did not change significantly until the late 1990s. Jurisdiction over the entire provincially-owned section of Highway 629 between Theriault Boulevard and the Timmins Airport entrance was transferred from the province to the City of Timmins, effective March 31, 1997. This 10 km decommissioned section of Highway 629 was survived briefly by the Municipal Connecting Link section of Highway 629 through Timmins, which remained designated until early 1999. Since that time, the former route of Highway 629 has been known as Theriault Boulevard, Jubilee Avenue and Airport Road. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 629 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available in Timmins.