Hwy 77 #2 Sign Graphic Hwy 77 #2 Title Graphic Hwy 77 #2 Sign Graphic   

Ontario Highway 77 (#2) Quick Facts:
  • Years in Existence: 1963-Present
  • Current Status: In Service
  • Location: Southern Ontario
  • Counties Served: Essex
  • Towns Served: Leamington & Comber
  • Southern Terminus: Hwy 3 - Leamington
  • Northern Terminus: Hwy 401 - North of Comber
  • Current Length: 22.6 km / 14.0 miles
HWY 77 #2 ROUTE MARKER - © Cameron Bevers
King's Highway 77 Sign © Cameron Bevers

History of King's Highway 77 (#2):

King's Highway 77 is a relatively short but important arterial highway in Essex County which links Highway 3 in Leamington to Highway 401 west of Tilbury. The highway passes through a predominantly rural area along its 23 km route. Leamington is the only major town located along the highway. Highway 77 was first established in 1963, when a new provincial highway was designated through Essex County. In March, 1963, a Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO), which showed the proposed assumption of Essex County Road 12 from Highway 401 southerly to Leamington as a new King's Highway. The plan was registered on April 1, 1963, and the new highway was officially designated as King's Highway 77 by an Order-in-Council, effective May 2, 1963. The section of Highway 77 lying within the Town of Leamington's limits was not assumed by the DHO, and thus, that section of the route remained under municipal jurisdiction. The non-assumed section of Highway 77 (Erie Street) from Highway 3 (Talbot Street) northerly to the Town of Leamington's north limits was designated as a Municipal Connecting Link, effective June 16, 1966.

The route of Highway 77 changed very little until the Year 2000. When the Leamington Bypass (Highway 3 New) was completed in 1999, the route of Highway 77 was truncated at the relocated route of Highway 3. The short provincially-owned section of Highway 77 lying between the Leamington Bypass and the former Town of Leamington limits was transferred to the Town of Leamington, effective February 2, 2000. Previously, Highway 77 was signed into Downtown Leamington via Erie Street. The Municipal Connecting Link designation along Highway 77 through Leamington was revoked by a Minister's Order, dated October 4, 2000. Highway 77 currently ends at the Leamington Bypass, where it shares a common terminus with the western section of Highway 3. This highway is not associated with the original Highway 77, which existed in nearby Elgin County from 1936 until 1957.

The current Highway 77 is a two-lane highway for its entire length between Leamington and Highway 401. Services are available in Comber and Leamington. The speed limit on Highway 77 is 80 km/h (50 mph), unless posted otherwise. Please visit the Highway 77 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 77.





HYPERLINK TO HWY 77 #2 ROUTE MAP PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO HWY 77 #2 MILEAGE TABLE PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO HWY 77 #2 PHOTOGRAPHS PAGE - © Cameron Bevers


Additional Information About King's Highway 77 (#2):

King's Highway 77 - Route Information  (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)

King's Highway 77 - A Virtual Tour  (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)


HYPERLINK TO HWY 77 (#1) PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO MAIN MENU PAGE - © Cameron Bevers             HYPERLINK TO HWY 78 PAGE - © Cameron Bevers



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!