History of King's Highway 15A (Alt) Ashton-Stittsville:
King's Highway 15A (Alt) was created in 1956, when a more direct Highway 15 alignment opened to traffic between Ashton and Stittsville. This relocation of Highway 15 was a Trans-Canada Highway project that was started in 1955. Once the relocation project was completed in late 1956, the original route of Highway 15 through Ashton and Stittsville (via Ashton Station Road, Ormond Road, Flewellyn Road, Huntley Road and Main Street) became Highway 15A (Alt). Beginning in 1961, Highway 7 was extended east to Ottawa via an overlapped route with Highway 15. As a result, a Highway 7A (Alt) route was also established which ran concurrently with Highway 15A (Alt) for its entire length starting in 1961. The concurrent route of Highway 7A (Alt) and Highway 15A (Alt) was decommissioned in 1969, when the entire route was transferred to the Township of Beckwith, the Township of Goulbourn and the Village of Stittsville, effective April 1, 1969.