History of King's Highway 43:
King's Highway 43 was a major collector highway which traversed most of Eastern Ontario. The highway began at Highway 7 in Perth and ended at Highway 34 in Alexandria, near the Ontario-Quebec Boundary. Highway 43 existed up until the late 1990s when it was downloaded in its entirety to the Counties of Lanark, Leeds & Grenville, and Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry. At 154 km in length, Highway 43 was the longest highway in Ontario to be completely downloaded during 1997 and 1998.
The history of King's Highway 43 dates back to 1938, when the Winchester-Alexandria Road was assumed as a new provincial highway. The new highway was 65 km in length and ran from Highway 31 in Winchester to Highway 34 in Alexandria. Most sections of the highway were paved at the time the road was designated, but there were short gravel sections that existed near Chesterville, Monkville, and Alexandria. Pavement was laid over two of these gravel sections during road reconstruction projects carried out in 1939 and 1940. However, one section of Highway 43 west of Alexandria remained gravel surfaced for the duration of World War II. The last gravel section on Highway 43 was paved in 1954. During the early 1950s, several extensive realignments were made to Highway 43. These realignments were generally carried out with the intention of reducing the number of at-grade railway crossings on the highway. The most notable realignment was constructed east of Finch, where a sizeable portion of the original Highway 43 alignment was bypassed in 1953. The old alignment of Highway 43 followed Wiseman Road and Boundary Road.
In 1961, Highway 43 was extended westerly from Highway 31 at Winchester to Highway 7 at Perth. This new extension was created when the Department of Highways assumed a series of county roads between Winchester and Smiths Falls as a new provincial highway. Between Smiths Falls and Perth, Highway 43 assumed the old route of Highway 15, which had been relocated onto a new route (concurrent with Highway 29) between Smiths Falls and Carleton Place. This long highway extension brought the length of Highway 43 up to 154 km from its previous length of 65 km. In 1963, another portion of Highway 43 was bypassed in Chesterville. There were two at-grade railway crossings along the old highway alignment via Smith Road and Main Street. This old alignment became Highway 43B. In 1974, Highway 43 was relocated at both Chesterville and Winchester. Both towns were bypassed by a new highway alignment.
On January 1, 1998, the entire highway was downloaded. The road is now officially known as Lanark County Road 43, Leeds & Grenville County Road 43, and Stormont, Dundas, & Glengarry County Road 43, although the road is still often referred to as "Highway 43" by motorists. Services are available in most communities along the highway. Generally, Highway 43 is a two-lane highway, but some sections have been widened to four lanes within towns. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 43 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Please visit the Highway 43 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 43.
Additional Information About King's Highway 43:
Learn More About King's Highway 43 (My Upcoming Publications)
King's Highway 43 - Route Information (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)
King's Highway 43 - A Virtual Tour (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)