History of King's Highway 50:
King's Highway 50 was a major collector highway which connected Highway 27 in Toronto to Highway 89 west of Alliston. The highway was 54 km in length and it existed up until the late 1990s, when it was downloaded to the County of Simcoe and the Regional Municipalities of York and Peel.
The history of Highway 50 dates back to 1936, when the road from Bolton to the Highway 49 Junction near Nashville was designated as a new King's Highway. This first section of Highway 50 was assumed by the Department of Highways (DHO) on August 12, 1936. Originally, the highway was only 5.5 km in length. The following year, Highway 50 was extended southerly from the Highway 49 Junction to Highway 7 and northerly from Bolton to Highway 9. Once these new sections of Highway 50 were assumed by the DHO on September 11, 1937, the length of the highway had grown to 29 km. Initially, the entire highway was gravel, except for the section from the Highway 49 Junction to Bolton which was paved. Some paving work was carried out immediately north of Highway 7 in 1937, but it was not until 1946 that the entire route of Highway 50 from the Highway 7 Junction to the Highway 49 Junction was paved with asphalt. The remaining unpaved section of Highway 50 between Bolton and the Highway 9 Junction was paved in 1951. In 1961, Highway 50 was extended southerly from the Highway 7 Junction to Highway 27 in Toronto. This extension added another 6 km to the length of Highway 50. The DHO assumed the road that would become the extension of Highway 50 on April 6, 1961. The section of Highway 50 lying south of Steeles Avenue was considered to be a municipal connecting link. In 1977, Highway 50 was extended northerly from the Highway 9 Junction to the Highway 89 Junction near Alliston. The extension was created when a 20 km section of Simcoe County Road 12 via Loretto was assumed by the province on January 26, 1977, and designated as Highway 50.
In the late 1990s, the entire highway was downloaded. On March 31, 1997, the connecting link agreement for the section of Highway 50 along Albion Road in the City of Toronto was repealed. A 2.1 km section of Highway 50 from the City of Toronto limits at Steeles Avenue to Highway 7 was transferred to the Regional Municipality of York on April 9, 1997. The rest of Highway 50 from the Highway 7 Junction to the Highway 89 Junction was transferred to the Regional Municipalities of York and Peel and the County of Simcoe on January 1, 1998. Highway 50 is now officially known as Simcoe County Road 50, Peel Regional Road 50 and York Regional Road 24. Within the City of Toronto, the former route of Highway 50 is called Albion Road. Despite the fact that this road is no longer a provincial highway, motorists nearly always refer to this route collectively as "Highway 50". Services are available in most communities along the highway. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 50 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Please visit the Highway 50 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 50.
Additional Information About King's Highway 50:
Learn More About King's Highway 50 (My Upcoming Publications)
King's Highway 50 - Route Information (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)
King's Highway 50 - A Virtual Tour (At Scott Steeves' website: asphaltplanet.ca)