History of Secondary Highway 514 (#1):
The first Secondary Highway 514 was a local highway serving as an access road from Highway 60 to the Interlaken Lakes region northeast of Huntsville from the 1950s up until the early 1970s. The Interlaken Road was officially designated as Highway 514 on May 9, 1956. Originally, Highway 514 was gravel-surfaced, but the highway was paved in its entirety in 1964. Up until 1971, there was no intermediate road agency between the province's Department of Highways (now MTO) and the local townships within Muskoka District. The creation of the District Municipality of Muskoka on January 1, 1971, changed the way road services were administered within the District. As a result, many of Ontario's Secondary Highways lying within the District were transferred to this newly-former tier of municipal government, particularly those which served as local access highways. Highway 514 was one such route. It was transferred to the new District Municipality of Muskoka, effective April 30, 1972. Former Highway 514 is now known as Muskoka Road 8 (Limberlost Road). Another, unrelated Highway 514 was established in Eastern Ontario south of Barry's Bay in 1975.
Learn More About Secondary Highway 514 (#1)