History of Secondary Highway 526:
Secondary Highway 526 is a local highway in the District of Parry Sound that serves as an access road between Highway 69 and Britt. Highway 526 begins at Highway 69 south of Still River and ends in Britt, a small harbour community located on the eastern shores of Georgian Bay. Highway 526 was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956, and was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in May, 1956. The highway had a primed bituminous gravel surface at the time of designation in 1956. Highway 526 was paved in 1973, and has changed very little ever since. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 526 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available in Britt.