History of Secondary Highway 539A:
Secondary Highway 539A is a local highway that connects Highway 539 northwest of Sturgeon Falls with Highway 805 west of River Valley. This highway was created in 1957, when the road from Highway 539 into River Valley was assumed as a new Secondary Highway. Highway 539A was only 3/4 mile (1.2 km) in length when it was first assumed by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) on June 27, 1957. In 1963, Tertiary Highway 805 was designated between River Valley and Pond Lake. This road essentially became a continuation of Highway 539A beyond River Valley. In the early 1970s, Highway 539A was extended westerly from River Valley when a portion of the route of Highway 805 was redesignated as an extension of Highway 539A. The redesignation took effect on November 18, 1971. In the process, Highway 539A was extended by approximately 4 km, while the route of Highway 805 was reduced in length by the same distance. The route of Highway 539A has not changed since that time. The highway remained gravel-surfaced up until the mid-1980s, when it was paved. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 539A is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available on this highway in River Valley.