History of Secondary Highway 539:
Secondary Highway 539 is a local highway that serves a handful of small communities northwest of Sturgeon Falls. The route of Highway 539 was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route through the Districts of Nipissing and Sudbury were first depicted on Preliminary Route Plans dated June 1956. The new highway began at the Highway 17 Junction in Warren. From there, the highway ran north to River Valley, where it turned east to join with Highway 64 in Field. The new highway was originally 24 miles (39 km) in length. The entire route was gravel-surfaced up until 1970, when a section of the highway north of Warren was paved. The balance of the highway wasn't paved until well into the 1980s. The route of Highway 539 was revised fairly substantially over the years, especially between Warren and River Valley. These realignments trimmed the initial length of Highway 539 by approximately 2 km to its present-day length of 37 km. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 539A is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available on this highway in River Valley and Warren.