History of Secondary Highway 617:
Secondary Highway 617 is a local highway in the District of Rainy River that provides access to a number of rural townships lying northeast of Rainy River. Highway 617 was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in April 1956, and was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route of Highway 617 extended north from Stratton via the Stratton-North Branch Road for approximately 15 miles (24 km) to join Highway 600 at North Branch. Highway 617 was originally gravel-surfaced for its entire length. A primed bituminous surface was constructed from Stratton northerly for 13 km in the mid-1970s. The balance of Highway 617 was paved with a primed bituminous surface in 1987. The route of Highway 617 has remained more or less the same ever since the highway was first established in 1956. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 617 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway.