History of Secondary Highway 624 (#2):
The Secondary Highway 624 designation was used again on a different highway in the District of Timiskaming beginning in 1960. The current route of Highway 624 serves as an access road between Highway 11 & Highway 569 and Larder Lake, located east of Kirkland Lake. The proposed route of Highway 624 was first shown on a series of Preliminary Assumption Plans prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June, 1960. The Englehart-Larder Lake Road was assumed by the DHO as a new provincial highway on September 15, 1960. The highway was initially gravel-surfaced for its entire length. Highway 624 was paved from Highway 11 & Highway 569 northerly for 3 miles in 1964. Highway 624 was paved from Larder Lake southerly for 12 miles in 1965 and 1966, with six miles of pavement constructed each year. The balance of the highway was shown with a paved surfaced on the 1973 Ontario Official Road Map. The route of Highway 624 has not changed much since it was first established, apart from some small realignments of the highway in a few locations. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 624 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services located along Highway 624, but services are available on Highway 66 in Larder Lake. A different, unrelated Highway 624 existed in the Foleyet area located west of Timmins from 1958 until 1960.