History of Secondary Highway 624 (#1):
There have been two routes in Ontario known as Secondary Highway 624. The first Highway 624 was a local highway in the District of Cochrane that provided access between Highway 616 and Foleyet, located west of Timmins. The entire route of Highway 624 was ultimately incorporated into the route of Highway 101 in 1960.
Highway 624 was first depicted on a Preliminary Assumption Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in March, 1958. The Palomar-Foleyet Access Road was designated as Secondary Highway 624 by an Order-in-Council, effective June 12, 1958. The route of Highway 624 extended northwest from Highway 616 near Palomar for approximately 12 1/2 miles (20 km) to Foleyet. Prior to the completion of the Foleyet Road, the town was only accessible via railway. Highway 624 was gravel-surfaced for its entire length. During 1960, the entire route of Highway 624 leading to Foleyet and a large section of Highway 616 from the Highway 624 Junction east of Palomar to Warren Lake were designated as part of King's Highway 101 by an Order-in-Council. The change in designation and route numbers took place on April 1, 1960. Interestingly, the Foleyet route of Highway 624 made its only appearance on the 1959 Ontario Official Road Map, due to the short amount of time that the highway existed under that designation. The 1960 Ontario Official Road Map reflects the new Highway 101 route number. By the end of 1960, a different Highway 624 had been established in the Englehart area.