History of King's Highway 64:
King's Highway 64 is a minor collector highway which serves the District of Nipissing and the French River Region of the District of Sudbury. The highway links Highway 69 south of Sudbury with Highway 11 north of North Bay, via Sturgeon Falls. Highway 64 also shares a short concurrent routing with Highway 17 between Sturgeon Falls and Verner. The highway passes through a predominantly rural area along its 145 km route. The only major town located along Highway 64 is Sturgeon Falls, although the highway serves many other smaller communities along its route.
Highway 64 was first established in the late 1930s, when the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) assumed the Sturgeon Falls-Marten River Northern Development Trunk Road as a new King's Highway. The highway was designated in order to provide a shorter cut-off route for traffic between Sudbury and the Ferguson Highway (Highway 11). A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the DHO in May 1937, which showed the proposed route of a new King's Highway between Highway 17 in Sturgeon Falls and the Highway 11 Junction near Marten River. The DHO assumed the Sturgeon Falls-Marten River Road as King's Highway 64 on August 25, 1937. The new highway was approximately 35 miles (56 km) in length. The section of the route passing through the Town of Sturgeon Falls was not assumed by the DHO, and thus that section of Highway 64 remained under municipal jurisdiction. The highway was entirely gravel-surfaced when it was first established in 1937. Highway 64 was extended slightly in 1940, when a section of the Old Ferguson Highway was relocated onto a new alignment near Marten River. Highway 64 assumed the northernmost 5 km of the Old Ferguson Highway's alignment, which extended the total length of Highway 64 to 38 miles (61 km). The route of Highway 64 remained more or less unchanged from that point until the mid-1950s.
In 1956, the Rutter-Verner Road was assumed as a new section of Highway 64. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the DHO in June 1955, which showed the proposed route of a new King's Highway between the Highway 69 Junction near Alban and Highway 17 in Verner. The DHO assumed the Rutter-Verner Road as an extension of King's Highway 64 in early 1956. The section of the highway lying within the District of Nipissing was assumed on January 25, 1956, while the section of the route lying within the District of Sudbury was assumed on February 8, 1956. In order to link these two discontinuous sections of Highway 64 together, the DHO signed Highway 64 concurrently with Highway 17 between Sturgeon Falls and Verner. The length of Highway 64 grew to 92 miles (148 km) as a result of the 1956 extension.
As originally assumed in 1937, the route of Highway 64 was not assumed by the DHO through the Town of Sturgeon Falls. A non-assumed section of Highway 64 (Dovercourt Road) lying between Lisgar Street and the north limits of the Town of Sturgeon Falls was assumed by the DHO on December 12, 1956. The non-assumed portion of Highway 64 within the Town of Sturgeon Falls, via Ottawa Street, Imperial Street, Cache Bay Road, Albert Street and Toronto Street was designated as a Municipal Connecting Link by an Order-in-Council, effective August 18, 1960. A section of Highway 64 via Dovercourt Road, which was assumed in 1956, was transferred from the province back to the Town of Sturgeon Falls on December 5, 1960. This section of Dovercourt Road was subsequently designated as an extension of the Highway 64 Connecting Link through Sturgeon Falls, effective December 21, 1960.
Another slight adjustment was made to the route of Highway 64 through Verner in the late 1970s. Originally, Highway 64 turned east for one block on Main Street (Principal Street) and then turned north again onto Dubeau Street where Highway 64 connected to Highway 17. In 1977, a new route was established for Highway 64 through Verner. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MTC) on September 29, 1977, which showed the proposed route of Highway 64 through Verner via its current alignment along D'Youville Street. The new route of Highway 64 through Verner was assumed by the MTC on October 24, 1977. The old route of Highway 64 through Verner, via Main Street and Dubeau Street, was transferred from the province to the Township of Caldwell on October 10, 1979.
Highway 64 was paved from the Highway 69 Junction to Alban in 1957, along with a 5-mile section of Highway 64 lying immediately north of Sturgeon Falls. In 1958, paving was completed on Highway 64 between Sturgeon Falls and Field. Paving was completed between Verner and Lavigne in 1962, along with the section of Highway 64 between Noelville and Ouelette. Paving was completed between Ouelette and Alban in 1965. Sections of Highway 64 were paved north of Field and south of Lavigne during 1966. Paving was completed on Highway 64 to Marten River in 1971, which completed paving of the north leg of Highway 64. Paving was completed between Lavigne and North Monetville in 1972, along with a section of Highway 64 lying between Noelville and Monetville. The last gravel section of Highway 64 between Monetville and North Monetville was paved over in 1977. Highway 64 was thus one of the last King's Highways in Ontario to be paved from end-to-end.
Highway 64 is a two-lane highway for its entire length, except for a short section of four-lane undivided highway along the overlapped route of Highway 17 & Highway 64 on the western approach to Sturgeon Falls. Services along Highway 64 are only available in Noelville, Lavigne, Verner, Sturgeon Falls and along Highway 11 at Marten River. The speed limit on Highway 64 is 80 km/h (50 mph), unless posted otherwise. The overlapped route of Highway 17 & Highway 64 is typically posted at 90 km/h (55 mph). Please visit the Highway 64 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 64.
Additional Information About King's Highway 64: