History of King's Highway 92:
King's Highway 92 was a short cut-off highway in Simcoe County which connected Highway 26 in Wasaga Beach to Highway 27 in Elmvale, north of Barrie. The highway was 24 km in length and it existed up until the late 1990s, when it was downloaded to the County of Simcoe.
The history of Highway 92 dates back to 1936, when the Elmvale-Wasaga Beach Road was assumed as a new provincial highway. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) dated May 12, 1936, which showed the route of a proposed King's Highway from the intersection of Beck Street and the Nottawasaga River Road (now River Road East) in Wasaga Beach easterly to the Highway 27 Junction in Elmvale. This road was assumed by the DHO on August 5, 1936 and was subsequently designated as King's Highway 92. The highway was initially 9 miles (14.5 km) in length. Highway 92 did not originally connect to Highway 26 on the western side of Wasaga Beach. Instead, the highway ended in Downtown Wasaga Beach. Several changes were made to the route of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach over the years. As originally assumed, Highway 92 briefly ran south along Beck Street from the Nottawasaga River Road, then turned sharply to the east towards Elmvale along Concession Road (now River Road West). Highway 92 also originally followed Golf Course Road and Bells Park Road. In the early 1940s, two short diversions were built to straighten the route of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach. The first diversion was an extension of Concession Road between Golf Course Road and Bells Park Road on the eastern side of Wasaga Beach while the second was the construction of Main Street between Concession Road and the Nottawasaga River Bridge approaching Downtown Wasaga Beach. The bypassed sections of Highway 92 via Beck Street, Concession Road west of Main Street, Golf Course Road and Bells Park Road were transferred to the Township of Flos, effective September 14, 1943. The approach to the Nottawasaga River Bridge via Main Street was assumed as a King's Highway on September 22, 1943. The entire route of Highway 92 was gravel-surfaced at first, but the highway was paved from Wasaga Beach to a point 3 km east in 1940. The balance of the highway from just east of Wasaga Beach to Elmvale was paved in 1947.
Initially, the entire route of Highway 92 was under the jurisdiction of the DHO. However, jurisdiction over the section of Highway 92 which passed through the Village of Elmvale was transferred to the municipality, effective April 1, 1962. The transferred section of Highway 92 was immediately designated as a Municipal Connecting Link, effective April 1, 1962. Jurisdiction over the section of Highway 92 which passed through the Village of Wasaga Beach from the village limits immediately east of Beck Street to the north end of the Nottawasaga River Bridge was transferred from the DHO to the Village of Wasaga Beach, effective January 29, 1964. This section of Highway 92, along with the section of Main Street between the Nottawasaga River Bridge and Wasaga Avenue, was designated as a Municipal connecting Link, effective February 6, 1964. This route of Highway 92 remained the same until the early 1970s. On June 13, 1973, the Municipal Connecting Link portion of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach was amended by an Order-in-Council, so that the highway formed a one-way loop around the popular downtown beach area. Rather then follow Main Street out to Wasaga Avenue, Highway 92 was rerouted along Spruce Street, Wasaga Avenue, First Street and Mosley Street. This one-way loop system remained in effect for a number of years, before the route of Highway 92 was altered once again.
During the 1970s, the municipal limits of Wasaga Beach were expanded considerably. As a result of this expansion, significant changes were made to the route of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach. A 3.5 km section of Highway 92 was transferred from the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MTC) to the Town of Wasaga Beach, effective January 24, 1979. This included the existing section of Highway 92 lying between the former village limits near Beck Street to the new town limits between Bells Park Road and the tiny hamlet of Langman. A new Municipal Connecting Link route was established through Wasaga Beach by an Order-in-Council, effective January 24, 1979. Under the new Municipal Connecting Link agreement, Highway 92 was extended west via Mosley Street, 45th Street and River Road West to Highway 26 at the western entrance to Wasaga Beach. This new 14 km route of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach bypassed the downtown beach area altogether, by making use of the new Schoonertown Bridge on River Road West. A temporary connection was established for Highway 92 between River Road West and Main Street, via the one-way street system offered by Glenwood Drive and River Avenue Crescent. The new extension of Highway 92 via the Mosley Street Connecting Link in 1979 increased the length of Highway 92 to 24 km. The Municipal Connecting Link portion of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach, at 14 km, was actually longer than the remaining eastern section of Highway 92 which was still under provincial jurisdiction. In fact, less than half of the highway's total length was maintained by the province after 1979. Another slight revision was made to the Municipal Connecting Link portion of Highway 92 in 1981, when River Road West was extended easterly through to Main Street. This new Municipal Connecting Link route, which was established as Highway 92 by an Order-in-Council on March 16, 1981, bypassed the awkward one-way street system via Glenwood Drive and River Avenue Crescent. The new route also included a diversion of Mosley Street at 45th Street, to eliminate an offset intersection in Highway 92 at this location.
On January 1, 1998, jurisdiction over Highway 27 was downloaded from the province to the County of Simcoe. Since Highway 92 was essentially just a connector highway between Highway 26 and Highway 27, it was decided that Highway 92 was no longer needed in the provincial highway system and was downloaded as well on January 1, 1998. The road is now officially known as Simcoe Road 92. The Municipal Connecting Link portion of Highway 92 through the Town of Wasaga Beach was revoked by a Minister's Order, effective January 1, 1998. The section of Highway 92 through Wasaga Beach is now officially known as River Road West and Mosley Street. This road is still often referred to collectively as "Highway 92" by motorists. Since the majority of Highway 92's route passes through the urbanized areas of Wasaga Beach, services are frequently available along this highway. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on the rural section of Highway 92 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Please visit the Highway 92 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 92.
Additional Information About King's Highway 92: