History of King's Highway 91:
King's Highway 91 was a short cut-off highway in Simcoe County which connected Highway 24 at Duntroon to Highway 26 in Stayner. The highway was only 8 km in length and it existed up until the late 1990s, when it was downloaded in its entirety to Simcoe County. The history of Highway 91 dates back to 1937, when the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) assumed the Duntroon-Stayner Road as a new King's Highway. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared on May 26, 1937, showing the proposed assumption of the Duntroon-Stayner Road. The DHO officially acquired Highway 91 when it was assumed as a King's Highway on August 11, 1937. Highway 91 was intended to provide a direct connection between Highway 26 and the new extension of Highway 24 that ran between Shelburne and Collingwood. The highway was gravel-surfaced until 1965, when it was finally paved with an asphalt surface.
On January 1, 1998, the northern section of Highway 24 between Shelburne and Collingwood was downloaded. Since Highway 91 merely served as a connector route between Highway 24 and Highway 26, the province decided that Highway 91 was no longer needed in the provincial highway system and downloaded the route. The road is now officially known as Simcoe Road 91, although the road is still often referred to as "Highway 91" by motorists. Services are available in Stayner and Duntroon. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 91 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Please visit the Highway 91 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 91.