Hwy 17 Hwy 17 Hwy 17   

Back to Hwy 17 - Cavers Hill to Nipigon      Back to Hwy 17 Photo Index      On to Hwy 17 - Loon to Thunder Bay

This page contains present day photos (Year 2000 to date) of Ontario's King's Highway 17, arranged by location from Nipigon westerly to Loon. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 21: Present Day King's Highway 17 Photographs (Nipigon to Loon)


HWY 17 #1062 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1061 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Highway sign near the Hwy 11 & Hwy 17 Junction at Nipigon
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - North side of the Nipigon River Bridge on Hwy 11/17. Structure completed in 1974.
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1063 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1064 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Hwy 11/17 across the Nipigon River Bridge
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Piers for the original Nipigon River Bridge which opened in 1937
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1065 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1066 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - The east abutment of the original Nipigon River Bridge is almost completely hidden by the fill for the newer bridge
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Looking east across the Nipigon River. The new Nipigon Bridge dwarfs the old bridge piers.
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1067 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1068 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 11/17 across the Nipigon River Bridge
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - View of the Nipigon River from Hwy 11/17, facing north
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1069 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1070 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Western approach to the Nipigon River Bridge on Hwy 11/17
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment just west of the Hwy 585 Junction in Nipigon
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1071 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1072 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - This abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment near Nipigon still boasts a section of its original asphalt surface, before it disappears into the forest
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Hwy 11/17 towards Nipigon. This section of Hwy 11/17 is actually a newer diversion, which bypassed a winding section of the original 1930s highway between Thunder Bay and Nipigon. A portion of the original highway can be seen where the truck is parked near the hydro pole off to the right.
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1073 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1074 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - A rock cut was blasted through this rocky ridge near Nipigon for the highway diversion in an effort to improve the road's grade. The original highway alignment looped up and over this rocky ridge, resulting in a steep grade and crooked alignment.
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - The former alignment of Hwy 11/17 crosses the current highway part-way up the ridge. The abandoned alignment emerges from the forest at the bottom left corner of this photo and continues on the other side of the current highway towards Nipigon.
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1076 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1075 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - The former road alignment across the ridge is slowly being consumed by the surrounding forest. Eventually, there will be no evidence that a road ever existed here.
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Hwy 11/17 towards Nipigon from the Hwy 628 Junction near Red Rock
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1077 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Road marker indicating the end of the Terry Fox Courage Highway on Hwy 11/17 near Nipigon
(Photograph taken on September 3, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1080 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1079 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Timber trestle bridge over South Trout Creek on Hwy 11/17 near Red Rock
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Southern side of the South Trout Creek Bridge. Structure completed in 1951.
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1082 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1081 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - View of the timber deck of the South Trout Creek Bridge on Hwy 11/17
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Timber curb and railing posts on the South Trout Creek Bridge on Hwy 11/17
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1083 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1084 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 11/17 towards Nipigon across the South Trout Creek Bridge
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing west along Hwy 11/17 towards Hurkett across the South Trout Creek Bridge
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1085 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1086 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Black Sturgeon River Bridge on Hwy 11/17 near Hurkett. Structure completed in 1958.
(Photograph taken on August 21, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment near Dorion, facing east towards Hurkett
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1087 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1088 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment approaching the old Wolf River Bridge site near Dorion. A large timber truss bridge existed at this location until the late 1950s. Please click here to see a 1957 Photo of this bridge, taken by the Department of Highways shortly before the bridge was replaced.
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment at the former Wolf River Bridge site near Dorion
(Photograph taken on September 4, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1089 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1090 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Abandoned Hwy 11/17 alignment near Dorion, facing west towards Ouimet
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Looking east along Hwy 11/17 though a rock cut near Ouimet
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 17 #1091 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 17 #1092 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Looking west along Hwy 11/17 towards Pearl
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Looking east along Hwy 11/17 towards Ouimet
(Photograph taken on August 30, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)




Continue on to King's Highway 17 Photos: Loon to Thunder Bay



Back to Hwy 17 - Cavers Hill to Nipigon      Back to Hwy 17 Photo Index      On to Hwy 17 - Loon to Thunder Bay



Back to King's Highway 16 Photos     /    King's Highway 17 History    /   On to King's Highway 18 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!