Hwy 6 Sign Graphic Hwy 6 Title Graphic Hwy 6 Sign Graphic   

Back to Hwy 6 - Owen Sound to Wiarton      Hwy 6 Photo Index      On to Hwy 6 - South Baymouth to Manitowaning

This page contains present day photos (Year 2000 to date) of Ontario's King's Highway 6, arranged by location from Wiarton northerly to Tobermory. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 14: Present Day King's Highway 6 Photographs (Wiarton to Tobermory)


HWY 6 #412 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #414 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Lion's Head and Tobermory from Mar. The small rural community of Mar is located about 11 km north of Wiarton. The Bruce Peninsula is Southern Ontario's most sparsely-populated region. Apart from Wiarton, most communities situated on the Bruce Peninsula are rather small and are primarily located along the shores of Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. There are surprisingly few communities located along the Hwy 6 corridor, which roughly bisects the Bruce Peninsula. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Deteriorated asphalt pavement on Hwy 6 north of Mar in 2009. This section of Hwy 6 was resurfaced soon after this photo was taken. Record investments in pavements and bridges by the Ministry of Transportation over the past several years have made scenes such as this one very rare in Ontario today. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #413 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #415 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - This scenic view of Hwy 6 can be found near the intersection of Summer Avenue near Mar. This section of Hwy 6 has been part of the King's Highway System since 1937, when the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) acquired jurisdiction over the Wiarton-Tobermory Road as part of a northerly extension of Hwy 6 from Owen Sound. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - This section of Hwy 6 located about 14 km north of Wiarton passes through an area of exposed dolomite. The ancient rocks of the Bruce Peninsula have been weathered over the millennia, with many gnarled and grotesque-shaped outcrops such as these. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #416 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #417 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Lion's Head about 15 km north of Wiarton. The route of Hwy 6 passes through intermittent ridges of exposed dolomite, followed by extensive flat plains which are primarily being used for agriculture. Since the highway's route lies a fair distance inland from the lakeshore, motorists are not treated to any views of Georgian Bay or Lake Huron along Hwy 6 north of Wiarton until they reach Tobermory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 6 about 16 km north of Wiarton, facing south. With few natural obstructions to alter its path, Hwy 6 follows an arrow-straight alignment for a long distance north of Mar. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #418 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #419 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Lion's Head and Tobermory from Lawrence Road, located about 19 km north of Wiarton. Here, Hwy 6 enters the Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula. This was a new municipality created in 1999, when the Village of Lion's Head, along with the Townships of Eastnor, Lindsay and St. Edmunds were all amalgamated to form a new municipality. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 6 about 19 km north of Wiarton, facing north near Pike Bay Road. For the next 13 km, Hwy 6 traverses a wide open agricultural plain. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #420 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #421 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Traffic patterns along this section of Hwy 6 are rather peculiar. While the highway is not ordinarily very busy, traffic surges whenever a southbound ferry arrives in Tobermory. Here, a steady platoon of vehicles heads southbound along Hwy 6 towards Wiarton - a sign that a ferry has arrived recently. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Wiarton from Pike Bay Road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #422 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #423 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Hwy 6 at Pike Bay Road, facing north towards Lion's Head and Tobermory. Even by Southern Ontario standards, this vast agricultural plain situated southeast of Lion's Head is very flat. Accordingly, motorists have an almost limitless view of the road ahead of them. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing north along Hwy 6 near Spry Road, located about 27 km north of Wiarton. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #424 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #426 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Approaching Ferndale on Hwy 6, facing north towards Tobermory. This small crossroads community lies about 29 km north of Wiarton and about 3 km west of Lion's Head. Although the community's name is more commonly abbreviated as "Ferndale" today, it was also referred to historically as Ferndale Corners. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Wiarton from the Bruce Road 9 Junction at Ferndale. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #425 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #427 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 approaching the Bruce Road 9 Junction at Ferndale. The scenic waterfront village of Lion's Head can be reached by turning right and following Bruce Road 9 east for about 3 km. It is well worth the detour to see the beautiful views over Isthmus Bay, which is tightly enclosed by the Niagara Escarpment along its southern shoreline. The village's name was derived from a prominent rock which protrudes from the Niagara Escarpment that resembles the head of a lion when viewed from certain angles. The junction of Bruce Road 9 at Ferndale is also noteworthy, as it is the northernmost county road junction situated along Hwy 6. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 6 approaching the Bruce Road 9 Junction at Ferndale, facing south towards Wiarton. At the time this photo was taken in 2009, there were service stations located on three of the four corners at Ferndale. Looking back, it is rather nostalgic seeing gasoline priced at under a dollar a litre! See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #428 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #429 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Tobermory from the Bruce Road 9 Junction at Ferndale. Northbound Hwy 6 motorists who are low on fuel should fill up before leaving Ferndale, as there are no services along Hwy 6 until Tobermory - a distance of almost 50 km. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Fingerboard guide signs at the Bruce Road 9 Junction on Hwy 6 at Ferndale. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #430 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #431 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Tobermory from the northern entrance to Ferndale. Tobermory lies about 46 km ahead. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing north along Hwy 6 about 3 km north of Ferndale. After travelling about 13 km across the flat plain near Lion's Head, the agricultural area comes to an end just ahead, as Hwy 6 climbs up another rocky, forested ridge. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #432 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #433 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Hwy 6 at Hellyer Road, facing south towards Ferndale. This grade marks the end of the plains near Ferndale - a vast flat agricultural area which lies southwest of Lion's Head. It is the largest of the agricultural areas passed through along Hwy 6 up the Bruce Peninsula. Note that the white pavement edge lines were implemented only around the curve radius in this photo. Older King's Highway pavements such as this example were typically built to a width of either 3.5 metres or 3.66 metres per lane. These lane widths were not typically striped with continuous white edge lines. As pavements have been reconstructed over the past few decades, they have been widened to a typical lane width of 3.75 metres and were often built in conjunction with a partially-paved shoulder. It is uncommon to see a King's Highway today without continuous white edge lines. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Tobermory at the start of the Lindsay Township Diversion. This major 5 1/2-mile highway diversion situated between Ferndale and Miller Lake was constructed in 1959-1960. It bypassed many miles of the original 1937 route of Hwy 6. Up until 1960, Hwy 6 followed Cherry Hill Road at right, which led northerly to Monument Corners. The alignment of Hwy 6 between Wiarton and Tobermory was very poor in the early years of the King's Highway System. When the DHO acquired jurisdiction over the Wiarton-Tobermory Road in August 1937, many sections of the highway were narrow, winding and had a very undulating vertical alignment. Up until the early 1950s, the Official Road Bulletin actually warned motorists to drive this section of Hwy 6 with care. Thanks to extensive highway upgrades carried out along Hwy 6 during the 1950s and 1960s, the once-challenging drive up the Bruce Peninsula to Tobermory is now just a distant memory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #434 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #435 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Old Hwy 6 (Cherry Hill Road) approaching Monument Corners. Following the completion of the new Hwy 6 Diversion across Lindsay Township in 1960, the former highway was no longer needed in the provincial highway system. Jurisdiction over the old route of Hwy 6 was transferred from the DHO to the Township of Lindsay in June 1961. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Old Hwy 6 (Lindsay Road 5) at Monument Corners. Up until 1960, Hwy 6 turned right and continued south towards Ferndale and Wiarton via Cherry Hill Road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #441 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #438 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Tobermory on the Lindsay Township Diversion. This long highway diversion bypassed several miles of Old Hwy 6. The new highway alignment offered motorists a shorter route to Tobermory and also provided safer passing opportunities. Before the Lindsay Township Diversion was completed in 1960, there would have been few opportunities for motorists to safely pass slow vehicles on Hwy 6 in this area. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing north along Hwy 6 towards Tobermory at the Stokes River Bridge (Site #02-04), located about 8 km north of Ferndale. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #436 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #437 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Ferndale at the Stokes River Bridge. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Western side of the Stokes River Bridge on Hwy 6 north of Ferndale. This single-span concrete rigid frame structure was constructed along with the rest of the Lindsay Township Diversion under Contract #1959-92. This structure was completed and opened to traffic in 1960. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #440 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #439 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of the concrete and steel handrail of the Stokes River Bridge on Hwy 6. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Eastern side of the Stokes River Bridge on Hwy 6 north of Ferndale. The Stokes River Bridge has a span length of 54 feet. Interestingly, this is the only bridge structure located along Hwy 6 between Wiarton and Tobermory. All other watercourses along this section of Hwy 6 are comparatively small and cross under the highway through culverts. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #442 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #443 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Ferndale and Wiarton along the Lindsay Township Diversion. The current route of Hwy 6 intersects with Old Hwy 6 (Lindsay Road 5 and Clarke's Road) just ahead. The new diversion of Hwy 6 across Lindsay Township shortened the highway distance between Wiarton and Tobermory by about 2 1/4 miles. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Rock cut on the Hwy 6 Diversion approaching The Bury Road south of Miller Lake. When the Lindsay Township Diversion (Hwy 6 New) first opened to traffic in 1960, it was initially a gravel-surfaced highway. Paving was completed on the Lindsay Township Diversion under Contract #1963-10, when hot-mix asphalt pavement was laid for a distance of approximately 10 miles between Ferndale and Miller Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #26 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #23 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - This portion of Clarke's Road northwest of Lion's Head was once a part of Hwy 6. This was one of many original sections of Hwy 6 which were bypassed by the construction of the Lindsay Township Diversion in 1959-1960. Although it is a hard-surfaced road, the pavement on this former section of Hwy 6 is narrow and the road has poor vertical alignment with hidden dips. This is how early Hwy 6 motorists would have remembered the drive up to Tobermory, prior to the completion of the diversion in 1960. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - This old Department of Northern Development bridge over Spring Creek on Ira Lake Road likely dates from the early 1930s. This township road was the original route of Hwy 6 from 1937 up until 1960, when it was bypassed by the current alignment of Hwy 6 (Lindsay Township Diversion). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #24 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #25 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - View of Old Hwy 6 (Ira Lake Road) at the Spring Creek Bridge, facing south. This former alignment of Hwy 6 gives observers some insight as to how narrow this highway actually was up until the early 1960s. In fact, the road surface along Hwy 6 was so narrow in some places near Tobermory that the highway effectively operated as a single-lane road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing north towards the current route of Hwy 6 on Ira Lake Road at Spring Creek. This photo provides us with some reminder of what Hwy 6 used to look like in decades past, when it was a narrow, gravel-surfaced highway. It wasn't until 1963 that motorists could enjoy travel between Wiarton and Tobermory on a route which was paved in its entirety. Today, travel up the Bruce Peninsula along Hwy 6 is relatively effortless, a far cry from the early days when travel to Tobermory was slow, long and difficult. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #444 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #445 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Western side of the Spring Creek Bridge on Old Hwy 6 (Ira Lake Road) south of Miller Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Ira Lake Road (Old Hwy 6), facing south near the junction of relocated Hwy 6 (Lindsay Township Diversion). This roller coaster alignment makes it clear why early DHO Official Road Bulletins described Hwy 6 as "very undulating". It seems hard to believe that this was the main highway up the Bruce Peninsula up until the early 1960s! See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #22 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #446 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Abandoned alignment of Hwy 6 at the northern end of Ira Lake Road, showing a section of the original highway pavement. This pavement was constructed "in-house" by DHO in the mid-1950s, at a time when the Department still had its own paving crews on staff. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Abandoned section of Hwy 6 between the relocated alignment of Hwy 6 (Lindsay Township Diversion) and Old Hwy 6 (Ira Lake Road). This hill marked the end of the pavement along Hwy 6 for several years during the 1950s. In 1956, a cold-mix mulch pavement was constructed along Hwy 6 from this point northerly for 4 1/2 miles to Miller Lake by DHO's own District #5 (Owen Sound) work crews. When the new diversion of Hwy 6 was completed across Lindsay Township in 1960, a short section of this original pavement was abandoned and left behind. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #447 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #448 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing south along the relocated route of Hwy 6 (Lindsay Township Diversion) towards Ferndale from Ira Lake Road (Old Hwy 6). The Lindsay Township Diversion was opened to traffic in 1960. Not only did this new diversion of Hwy 6 shorten the highway distance between Wiarton and Tobermory by about 2 1/4 miles, the revised alignment also provided a widened road surface with improved horizontal and vertical geometry and increased passing opportunities for motorists. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 6 at Miller Lake, located about 25 km south of Tobermory. The original 1937 route of Hwy 6 crosses over the current route of Hwy 6 via Lindsay Road 30. In 1955, a diversion was constructed for a distance of 2 miles from Miller Lake northerly, in order to remove two sharp turns in the original highway's route. This diversion was constructed under Contract #1955-31 and was completed during 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #20 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #21 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - View of Old Hwy 6 (Brinkmans Road) facing north towards Tobermory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing south along Brinkmans Road (Old Hwy 6) near Miller Lake. This was the original route of Hwy 6 up the Bruce Peninsula until a diversion was constructed north of Miller Lake in 1955. Since it was no longer needed in the provincial highway network once the diversion opened to traffic, this bypassed loop of Hwy 6 subsequently reverted back to municipal control in the mid-1950s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #19 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #449 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - This portion of Brinkmans Road south of Tobermory was once a portion of Hwy 6. Jurisdiction over this former alignment of Hwy 6 was transferred from the DHO to the Township of Lindsay in October 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Sign on Hwy 6 north of Miller Lake marking the southern boundary to Bruce Peninsula National Park. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #450 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #451 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Hwy 6 near the Crane River Culvert, facing north. The Crane River crosses Hwy 6 about 19 km south of Tobermory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Ferndale and Wiarton from Johnsons Harbour Road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #452 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #453 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - About 10 km north of Miller Lake, Hwy 6 crosses an intermittent, seasonal lake via a causeway. This section of Hwy 6 was originally only a single lane road for a distance of about 1,000 feet. Early Hwy 6 motorists had to watch the road ahead carefully to make sure nobody was travelling in the other direction before crossing the causeway. This situation was corrected when the highway platform was widened to two lanes by DHO crews in 1951. As part of this reconstruction work, a small timber bridge was removed and replaced with twin 24-inch corrugated iron pipe culverts. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing south along Hwy 6 towards Ferndale and Wiarton at the causeway across the intermittent, seasonal lake. Despite being surrounded by Lake Huron on almost all of its sides, the Bruce Peninsula has no inland lakes immediately adjacent to Hwy 6 apart from this one. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #457 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Above - King's Highway 6 route marker at Cameron Lake Road south of Tobermory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #454 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #455 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Hwy 6 about 9 km south of Tobermory, facing south from Cameron Lake Road. The Bruce Peninsula is by far the most rugged and remote part of Southern Ontario, with many dense, undisturbed forests. Many portions of the Bruce Peninsula were never cleared or opened up for farming, so some of the old-growth Eastern White Cedar trees in this part of Ontario are estimated to be about 1,000 years old. There's a certain sense of adventure when travelling to this part of Ontario! See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Southern entrance to Tobermory on Hwy 6, facing north towards the village centre. For northbound Hwy 6 motorists, Tobermory is essentially the end of the road as the village lies at the northern tip of the Bruce Peninsula. Although a ferry service connects to the discontinuous northern leg of Hwy 6 on Manitoulin Island, it only operates seasonally. At all other times of the year, highway traffic wishing to access Manitoulin Island must take the long way around and follow Hwy 400, Hwy 69 and Hwy 17 around the eastern and northern sides of Georgian Bay to reach Hwy 6 via Espanola and Little Current. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #456 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #458 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - The municipality has erected a decorative entrance sign for Tobermory which includes a miniature "flowerpot". These curious rock formations can be found within Fathom Five National Marine Park. They are rather striking natural features, which are formed where harder caps of dolomite are slowly undermined by wave erosion over the millennia. Immediately in front of the Tobermory Sign, a concrete drainage culvert can be seen passing below Hwy 6. This was actually the first Post-War structure built along Hwy 6 from the Tobermory end of the highway. It was built under Contract #1947-21 by C.A. Pitts General Contractors Ltd, as part of a highway improvement project which extended from Tobermory southerly along Hwy 6 for a distance of 8 miles. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Distance guide sign on southbound Hwy 6 departing from Tobermory. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #459 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #460 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - This small rock cut on Hwy 6 south of Nicholas Street in Tobermory was one of many vertical alignment improvements completed in this area during the late 1940s. Prior to reconstruction, Hwy 6 would have more or less followed the original ground line, which left many hills and dips in the road alignment. By constructing these rock cuts, the vertical highway alignment was greatly improved which gave motorists a much better view of the road ahead and thus provided a safer road environment. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Northbound motorists on Hwy 6 catch their first glimpse of Georgian Bay since the Wiarton area as the highway crests this hill near Nicholas Street. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #465 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #466 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing east along Bay Street from Hwy 6. Many of Tobermory's businesses are situated along the waterfront of Little Tub Harbour. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - A fantastic piece of vintage 1940s service station memorabilia still stands on Bay Street in Tobermory. White Rose Service Stations were operated by the Canadian Oil Companies Ltd. before that company was acquired by Shell Oil in 1963. The round White Rose Service Station signs like the example seen here were used to greet motorists to the gas pumps up until the early 1950s, when the service station signs were changed to a four-sided flowerpot shape. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #467 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #462 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Tobermory's scenic Little Tub Harbour is a delight to stroll about after arriving here by car. When it comes to exploring Georgian Bay, however, it is actually the boat that is the king - not the car. With the exception of Georgian Bay's well-populated southern shores, the majority of this vast bay's perimeter is not accessible by road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing south along Hwy 6 from Carlton Street towards Bay Street in Tobermory. This small unincorporated village is now part of the Municipality of Northern Bruce. Prior to amalgamation in 1999, the unincorporated Village of Tobermory was part of the Township of St. Edmunds. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #18 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #17 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing north along Hwy 6 from Carlton Street in Tobermory. Note the unusual Hwy 6 sign at right, with the "through" arrow. This sign was presumably placed at this intersection in order to provide additional guidance for motorists, since Carlton Street only carries one-way traffic (westbound) departing from the Tobermory Ferry Dock. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 6 in Tobermory, facing south at Carlton Street. When the Wiarton-Tobermory Road was first assumed as a new extension of King's Highway 6 in August 1937, provincial jurisdiction over the highway ended at the intersection of Bay Street in Tobermory. For many years, this intersection was the northern terminus of Hwy 6. During the mid-1950s, however, Hwy 6 was extended northeasterly from Bay Street to the Tobermory Ferry Dock via Carlton Street. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #16 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #15 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Approaching Front Street on Hwy 6 in Tobermory. The route of Hwy 6 turns right at the intersection and follows Front Street to the Tobermory Ferry Dock. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - These parking lanes along the right-hand side of Front Street hold Hwy 6 traffic waiting for the ferry's departure. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #461 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #14 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Front Street in Tobermory, facing west. Hwy 6 traffic turns left just ahead and heads south towards Wiarton. All of the streets around the Tobermory Ferry Dock have directional arrows painted on them, to provide extra guidance to motorists. Some streets in this area are two-way streets, which some operate as one-way streets only. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Leaving the Tobermory Ferry Dock on Hwy 6 (Front Street), heading south towards Owen Sound. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #469 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #468 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Owen Sound Transportation Company's Tobermory Ferry Terminal Building on Eliza Street (Hwy 6). The route of Hwy 6 forms a loop through the Ferry Dock area, via Front Street, Eliza Street and Carlton Street. While Front Street carries two-way traffic, Eliza Street and Carlton Street are both one-way streets which carry westbound traffic only. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Carlton Street (Hwy 6) facing west from the Tobermory Ferry Dock at the intersection of Eliza Street. An oversized Hwy 6 route marker directs traffic away from the Tobermory Ferry Dock. A short distance up Carlton Street, an oversized route marker assembly directs traffic to turn left onto Hwy 6 South or turn right onto Hwy 6 North. The arrow tab for the north direction was missing at the time I took this photo in 2009. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #463 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #464 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Carlton Street (Hwy 6), facing east towards the Tobermory Ferry Dock. Carlton Street was acquired as part of the King's Highway by the DHO in June 1955. As a result of the assumption of Carlton Street, Hwy 6 was extended from the highway's former 1937 terminus at the intersection of Bay Street northeasterly to the Tobermory Ferry Dock. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Western terminus of Carlton Street (Hwy 6). Traffic heading to Lion's Head and Wiarton must turn left in order to continue south along Hwy 6. Traffic heading to the northern part of Tobermory can turn right and follow Hwy 6 North up to Front Street. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #470 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 6 #12 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Traffic is loaded onto the ferry through the ship's opening bow via this ramp. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 14, 2009  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - View of the Tobermory Ferry Dock at the end of the Southern Ontario portion of Hwy 6. The rest of Hwy 6 lies across Lake Huron on Manitoulin Island and a section of the mainland in Northeastern Ontario. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 6 #13 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Tobermory's Little Tub Harbour is home to the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry to Manitoulin Island. This ferry can be seen leaving port in the far background, carrying traffic from Tobermory to the Manitoulin Island portion of Hwy 6. The seasonal ferry service only runs from May to October. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 13, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





Continue on to King's Highway 6 Photos: South Baymouth to Manitowaning


Links to Adjacent King's Highway Photograph Pages:


Back to Hwy 6 - Owen Sound to Wiarton      Hwy 6 Photo Index      On to Hwy 6 - South Baymouth to Manitowaning



Back to King's Highway 5 Photos    /     King's Highway 6 History    /     On to King's Highway 7 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /     Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2023, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!